Fodera Monarch on the way, what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AJ Love, Oct 8, 2002.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I've got a 4 string Fodera Monarch on the way, lookin forward to it...managed to find one used and I figured I would go for it

for those who have played Fodera's, let me know what you think about them.....
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i own a fodera and i like it. its pretty good;)
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you should expect me to steal it from you.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gard let me play a Fodera at BC. You can expect it to rule. RULE!
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hence the name "Monarch." Imagine how much the Emporer rules...
  6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    :cool: lol Jason...naw you don't wanna steal it dude, you don't want that karma

managed to find a used one for $2500, just slightly more than a new Fender Custom Shop bass or a refinished pre-CBS Fender or a nice new Warwick, I figured I'd go for the Fodera

been having fun playing Wooten's "Me and my Bass Guitar" on my Fender Jazz, should be a blast on a Fodera

we'll see when it gets here...I never count on anything until its in my hands
  7. I think you'll love it. Mine is a blast to play. The set neck makes it feel like a neckthru, the neck is very fast, the electronics are versatile and the tone cuts thru very well. The only thing I had to get used to is the string spacing - it's a bit wider than I am used to.

I've also played the Emperor. To me, the Monarch sounds brighter and not as "dark". I prefer the sound of the Monarch.

Let us know what you think...
  8. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I've only had my Monarch for a couple weeks. Probably the best bass I've ever played. Easily became my #1. Tone, weight, balance, playability, neck, fit and finish, are all perfect for me. Enjoy.
  9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    What should you expect? Poverty.

10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah. I think you managed a good basses.. Most of the Foderas I have tried out have been excellent... I was lusting after a fodera monarch for awhile.. then I found something else.. I won't mention that it was an Elrick that quinched my thirst..

Foderas are great.. and when I'm making lots of $ with my R&B funk band, I'll go get me a few
  11. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    thanks for your replies, really looking forward to getting this should arrive tommorow
  12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I have a VW classic which is based off a Monarch body. It's a bass I'll never sell. Light, fast to play, sounds fantastic. Not to mention Vic signed the back of the headstock for me!!

13. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I have two... an Elite (neck-thru) and a Dlx (set-neck) and I love them both!!
  14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Congrats on the Monarch. I'm sure that you are going to love it. The two that I've had the opportunity to play just floored me. Too bad they were too much $$$ for this poor boy.

Please post photos here when you get a chance.
  15. jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i've got the vw monarch and as far as i'm concerned, it's the bass of a lifetime for a lifetime. like others have said, it's lite, fast, and balances perfectly. there's nothing, not one thing, i don't like about this bass.

one word of caution about the truss rod. it may be in upside down. what i mean is you loosen it to straighten the neck, and tighten it to increase bow. it took me a while to figure this out. you'll have to check it and see.
  16. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What's the verdict on the Fodera?
  17. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the verdict:

absolutely most definitely the bass of a lifetime and quite possibly the cure for GAS

it has sounded incredible both live on stage and in the studio....absolutely killer sound and easy to play, fast, balanced neck the craftsmanship is awe-inspiring....after playing the Fodera I'd have a hard time ever playing anything else. since I play professionally I might have to buy another one for a backup! I don't know what else I could play as a backup to a Fodera but a Fodera
  18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Nice to know it´s working out for you! :)