Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Monarch Players - Need your help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Sep 19, 2002.

1. I'm wanting a great 4 string.

I also want a good P-Bass tone for those few times I need it.

I'd like to get one great 4 string that can do the P-bass thang and has it's own unique voice.

Does the Monarch do a good P-Bass impression? I know it's a great 4 string in it's own right and has the Fodera sound, just need to know if it can mimic a P.

Thanks!!
    Jeff

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id say kinda. i havent owned a monarch but ive played a few as well as owning a few emperors. the construction gives it more sustain so if anything it resembles more of a 70's p bass sound than an old school thump.

doesnt sadowsky make a p bass now?

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I Just played one last week and was trying to get the same sound. It did have a nice sustain and it was clear and had good attack. But it didnt have the "wump" that a p-bass has, it actually reminded me more of G&L2000 with it in series.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Monarch just arrived yesterday, but I'd have to agree on the L2000 comparison. Gawd the neck is fast, though.
    Doc

5. Thanks everyone! Sadowsky does make a fine P-bass. I just have this deal a'workin...

Jeff

6. I have Sadowsky PJ4 on order too; it's due in December.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jeff, one of the nicest Monarch or Foderas for that matter that I've played was an older Monarch 4 with an EMG PJ setup... that bass could do it all. Should've bought it;)

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Jeff

If you buy the one on ebay, Keith is the seller and he's a good guy!

9. It's not the one I was considering, but i did shoot Keith an email - that's a great looking bass.

Jeff

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I have a Vic Wooten classic Monarch with a pj Emg setup. Sounds great, plays great, looks great, nice and light. Check one out if you can

Rob

11. I demo'd a Monarch for a week. Great bass.

Much heavier than my Sadowsky 4 string J bass which has a swamp ash body.

Can't go wrong either way.

12. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I have a Fodera VW Monarch bass that is a KILLER, incredible bass

the best way I've found to get a P Bass tone out of it is running it through a Sadowsky pre-amp with the bass level on the pre-amp turned up slightly

just my experience

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I, for one, have never liked the looks of Fodera's buckeye burl tops (I'd say all buckeye burl tops but I've only seen them on Foderas). The dark parts look like big blotches of mildew to me. Call me crazy, but to each his own.

brad cook