Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera N.Y.C Empire 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mz91, Jun 17, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hello Everyone :)
    Well, i am thinking of buying a Bass to compliment my only bass, the Modulus Quantum 6 SS. I was originally looking for a Fender Jazz and i came across a nice Fodera NYC Empire for $1500. And that is here in Switzerland which is a good price i guess for a American made instrument. I did a search and didnt come up with anything concrete on the Bass. It seems there are mixed opinions. And i dont know what to compare the bass too because it is a Fodera but its there moderately priced Bass. If anyone has experience with these basses i would really be happy if you shared. I have contacted the seller and have asked for more pictures...He said he has had the bass for 5 years but its been sitting around for 3. It has passive NYC pickups and a active bartolini preamp.
    :meh: Good Bass? The picture on the ad was pathetic but here it is....Thanks guys.
    Michael

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Is it a 3 pc neck NYC or a solid neck?

The solid neck Jazz NYC's are nothing but warmoth basses that Fodera put together around the early-mid 90's. It was a pretty sad attempt at a cheap bass. Then they came back out with a 3 pc neck NYC that they build in house. This is a real nice bass, and they come with one of Fodera's preamps ussually.

If its the solid neck Jazz then you can find them here in the states for 800-1000. If its the realy Fodera NYC (newer one) its a $2000-2600 bass.

Hope that helps,

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks for the reply brian. thats really usefull information. i will post the pictures he sends me as soon as i get them. and then i guess we will see which nyc model it is. :bassist:

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Brian,

Where'd you get this info? I find it hard to believe that Fodera purchased parts from Warmoth and put them together with their name on it. It seems like that would be a waste of time for them. I'm not saying you're wrong or lying but I just want some further documentation. Mine's a '97 and it's a great bass with awesome tone. Definitely not "a sad attempt at a cheap bass."

brad cook

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    It might have been allparts or one of the other company's that Lull and Sadowsky get their body's and necks from. Theres a number of company's that make the parts.

Anyway, it doesn't mean their a cheap bass because of it really, just not a hand built bass out of the Fodera Shop. Heck Fodera is doing it again with a little nicer bass this time. It cuts time out of them having to build and allows more revenue in with other products. If you want a real hand built Fodera then pay the more money.

I'm not saying anything neg. about the bass.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the only bass ive seen attempted to be passed off as an nyc with warmoth parts was the one on bassgear a while back and it had a warmoth wide 5 neck. according to david beasley the only reason it had that neck on it was because a customer came in with the neck and wanted them to build him a bass for cheap money.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My bad. It's just that "It was a pretty sad attempt at a cheap bass" sounds pretty negative. Maybe you've had some bad experiences with them. I just know that mine has fat tone and sweet action.

brad cook

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    that combo of lane poors and bart preamp sounds silly good. if i had an extra 1500 to my name i wouldnt mind picking that up.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Yea, that one has the 3 pc neck. Is that preamp not a fodera 2 band or 3 band unit??

Anyway, thats one of the Fodera Shop built NYC basses.

10. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks alot for the replies guys...well he said that it was a bartolini preamp but i am not sure about the lane poor pickups...could be..well, now i have to come up with the cash to buy it....i am going on vacation soon so i guess i have to watch my pockets :D ...well so i guess that means the generall consensus is to go for the bass...Does anyone know how this Jazz might differ from other jazz's like the sadowsky the normal fender etc? any replies would be appreciated..thanks
    Michael

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    first off those are lane poor pickups. i tried picking up one of those basses as a back up to my emperor elite 5, but the neck was bad on it so i got a refund. however, from what i could gather, the sound was great. it was that modern jazz bass sound with the extended high end. it was more in the sadowsky camp in terms of tone. at the time i also had a lull modern 5 which had much more midrange and was honky and dull sounding compared to the nyc. the nyc was alder with a rosewood board and it was brighter and had a much better slap sound than the lull that was ash w/ a maple board.

the pre in the nyc was a bart ntmb. however, it wasnt wired with the midrange knob. it only had bass and treble. i still dont know why the ntmb was in there wired like that rather than using a ntbt.

12. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    i still havent met the guy selling the bass and so during my time of waiting i wanted to research lane poor pickups. i found out that they are out of business! so far i have heard only good things about the lane poor bartolini combination but i am kind of worried about the fact that lane poor is no longer in business...well? should i be worried or am i just overexaggerating? i really want to make a good purchase with this bass cause i am dropping all my savings on it...(plus some of my sisters savings :( :eek: ) thanks! Mike

13. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hey, man, I read a lot about how Fodera is responsive even to those who are buying used Fodera basses, the best source then is to contact them at www.fodera.com and maybe they'll give you some insights on what kind of beast that bass really is. Peace.:)

14. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i wouldn't worry about it. The one bass I tried with Lane Poors sounded amazing. and it's so unlikely that the pickups will die on you. If anything, I think the fact they're not around anymore kinda makes the pickups even cooler...

15. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well, i am finally meeting the guy this sunday...I am having second thoughts as usual when one is about to drop all their savings :( . well, i am now just wondering if anyone knows a shop in europe where i could order a pickguard for the bass. I really want one because i dont want to scratch it up any more...the seller left the bass in a a case for 3 years!!!!:rolleyes: . i am not sure what i should look for in determining wether i should buy it or not...i guess all in all i cant complain. $1500 isnt to much for a NYC in Europe...plus they are hard to come buy so im guessing its now or never...ill post pictures as soon as i buy it if anyone is keen to see the bass. Michael