Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera, Now I get it.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickr, Dec 30, 2005.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    I purchased Jamadav's Fodera Yin-Yang 4 last week. Dave was a pleasure to do business with and this bass is simply incredible!
    I have been through who knows how many basses, and I have indeed had some real winners. There was however always something here or there that I wished I could change.
    So far with with bass, everything is perfect. The craftsmanship on the Yin-Yang model is just unreal. It really looks like the bass is painted. No lines, no gaps whatsoever. Amazing. The neck felt instantly perfect in my hands as well.
    I was a bit timid about the alder body and 2 band eq. I have always been a ash fellow with a 3 band eq but I must say this bass sounds exactly like I wanted it to. It works perfectly for any application I use: fingerstyle, slap, douple thump, hamonics and tapping. Yep, it cost a bundle and there is no way I could have afforded a new one (THANKS DAVE!).
    Absolutely incredible bass!
    :hyper:

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Ya.
    I grew up playing fenders, gibsons and musicmans.
    But went to NY last month.
    And got to play some Fodera's.
    I see what all the fuss is about.
    Yes, there expencive, but there functional works of art?
    I'll take a AJ Presentation please!
    If I had $10,000.00 to spare, I would order one now?
    Great stuff.

3. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Ricky... Let me know if you sell it..

:bag:

Jason

4. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Jason,
    Man I thought for sure you would have had a Fodera by now! :p
    Yea, its definitely sweet. Im working on recording a few new songs. Can't wait to hear how they turn out. I have been writing them over the past two weeks.

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Wheres the pics?!?!

:D

6. I am honestly afraid to play a Fodera for fear I'd decide(discover?)they were worth it. :eek: I'll just continue to love them from afar for now...

7. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    After I got off the phone with you, I went looking!! The one they had at Planet Bass had already been sold.. They do have a J/J Monarch @ Bass Alone for under $3k!

:)

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    ohhhh no ya dont - if he sells it I get first dibs on havin' it back =0) I just needed the money for boring ol' furniture and whatnot. =0(

9. The Bass is really nice.

Just heard your music. Very Cool! Was that recorded with your Fodera?

-Christian

10. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Actually, those songs were recorded with a Zon 519.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Does Fodera have a show room or sound room to play on some basses they have built?.

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

+1.
    I might have to take a roadtrip if so.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not really,

the closest thing would be to call up the Groove Shoppe guys, and let them bring some samples to the fodera shop. that's what i did when i was spec'ing out my imperial 5.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dave -

SMACK

"Steeempy, you EEEEDEEEOT!!!"

You KNOW you will never replace that bass again...and it was one of a kind.

:scowl:

:bawl:

...sigh...

And Jason, if your next bass isn't from Greensboro, NC, I'ma revoke your cajun license, you hear me? :spit:

15. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    I don't know Gard, I think Jason is headed the way of the Butterfly :p

16. Nice!!! congratulations... the same hapened to me with MTD's.... After playing it I "got it"....

17. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Gard.. You caught me!!

OH.. You gonna revoke my cajun license? When is the last time you boiled a sack of crawfish? I think I need to revoke YOURS!!!

J

18. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Ricky..

I made it passed the initial GAS attack.. So I may be safe.. At least until income tax return time...

19. Congrats....Killer bass!

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

No. Not at all. They may have a couple of basses around that have just been finished. The Fodera shop is not a show room. It's a shop with all kinds of wood, woodworking tools and stations and there's saw dust everywhere- even in Vinny's coffee cup. It reminded me of the Roscoe shop when I went to NC on vacation.

Let's see... NC vacation I visited Roscoe Guitars 2003
    NY vacation I visited Fodera and Sadowsky 2005
    Now I need to go to Canada (F Bass), Paris (JP Basses), Phili (Ken Smith), Orlando (CB Basses) in my back yard, Washington (Bee Basses), where are Zons and Elricks made. I love those too. I'll have to seek out Nordstrand.

Bassmanbob does, "Bass Builder's Tour '06". Maybe someday when my kids have grown and my wife goes to visit family...

Sorry for the hijack.:bag: