Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera NYC Empire...anyone seen/played one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Aug 20, 2001.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I noticed not too long ago on the Fodera site that they have introduced a new model, the NYC Empire. It is evidently their new "entry level" model, depite the fact that it lists for almost $3,000!!! I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to see or play one of these, or if anyone knows anything else about them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Yes, I have played them before. I really liked it alot. It had a Jazz bass feel to it. Had a really nice feel, and a fat sound. Nice clean lows, strong articulate mids, and ultra clear highs. Great bass. You can find good deals on them used. Ive have seen them for $1500.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I know the guy who got the First fretless NYC 5. Trust me, there's nothing "entry-level" about these basses. It was the one of the most comfortable bass I have ever played and it feels like a totally solid piece of gear. I've made up my mind to get one when finances permit.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes! I am a proud owner of a Fodera NYC Empire 4 string. It's natural finish swamp ash with maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, Bart j's, Bart NTMB pre, hipshot tuners. Fantastic sounding and playing bass. I've had it since May of '99 and I really love it. I've grown to like it a lot more as I've had it. The thing that was a bit disconcerting when I first got it was neck dive. With a normal strap on, the headstock dives like a shot duck. I invested in a Comfort Strapp though and it completely put an end to that. The strap holds it firmly where I put it. The bass is a bit heavy too but the newer ones may be lighter...I don't know.

Anyway...bass sounds great and can go from Marcus hifi to Jaco growl with the twist of a knob. Pretty versatile tone-wise and I swear every time I take this out in the presence of someone who has never seen it they always say "Nice bass." or "Beautiful bass." (and this is just natural finish swamp ash, but I must admit it has a nice grain) The compliments only increase from there when they hear the tone. Has meaty, defined low end and very defined highs without being transparent. Studio quality sound. If you have any other questions then email me or post them here. I really don't care if you email. bradcook@volcanomail.com

brad cook

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Uh...sorry...I didn't realize how old the above posts were...I just saw an 8 in the month and didn't look at the day or year. Anyway...it took a year but at least you got an answer! :D

brad cook