Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera NYC Empire anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classic5, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Anyone out there own or played a Fodera NYC Empire? If so, I'd like to know your thoughts on it.

Any preference in neck type and pickup choice? I believe that it is available with a moses graphite neck.

Looking forward to a reply or two. Any pictures would be appreciated as well.

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I've played a single one. It was a five string, sunburst, two J pickups (Bartolini's I'm pretty sure) whatever preamp comes in it. I think it was ash but I can't be sure. It had a wooden neck, not the graphite option.

It had a great sound, great B string and the tone had that growling 'rolling' type of tone...know what I mean? That really amazing tone they get on recordings? I thought it was amazing until I played a real Fodera later on. It's still a great bass though. The best way to describe it would be to call it a step down from a Fodera. Personally I think it's just a bit overpriced new, but a well cared for used one at around $1600 or so is a pretty good cost to value ratio.

3. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Thanks Bassmanjones, by the way, thats a great user ID you've got.

Sounds like it would be a pretty good bass if you could get it second hand for a reasonable price. The only problem I can see would be the urge to get the next model up once you've played this one.

I'm curious to know what you found so better in the "real" Fodera you played later. I thought the main difference would be aesthetic in that the finish may not be as good in the NYC.

Did you notice much of a difference in the sound or feel of the NYC compared to the higher level model?

Thanks.

4. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    The main differences were in the sound and the quality. I mean, the NYC doesn't have shoddy craftsmanship in the least. It's just that compared to a Fodera there were some tiny things like fret ends and finish, etc. Nit picky stuff, really.

The main difference is the sound. The NYC is excellent sounding, but it doesn't sound like a Fodera. Part of the Fodera's sound is the Mike Pope preamp and custom pickups they have in them. Since the NYC doesn't have that stuff it also doesn't have the sound.

The feel was the same to me. The NYC has that giant body style that Foderas have and the neck felt like the same radius/finish/etc.

I know someone here has one.