Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera NYC Jazz vs. Sadowsky Jazz??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 12, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Which would you choose and why?

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    NO CONTEST...Sadowsky in a heartbeat.

Now if you were comparing a Monarch or an Emporer. I'd still take the Sadowsky but it would be a closer comparison.

3. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    They're both really good jazz basses. I've played a few NYC 5's that we're as good as anything I've ever played. Plus, a cool thing about the NYCs is that Vinnie and Joey are making them by hand, not farming them out. And they are definitely priced right.

Of course, you can't go wrong with a Sadowsky either. Roger makes a great J-bass.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Joel's correct. but I think most of the NYC's people have seen or played are the older part basses they did for a short time. There are a lot of them floating around. Their nothing more the really a parts bass with fodera setup, etc.

The New NYC's are very nice and are built by Joey and Vinny, but there aren't to many around.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would go with the Sadowsky

I've played on 2 Fodera NYC basses and I just didn't like the feel of the bass.

Why do you ask anyway? you aren't going to get rid of the Elrick are you?

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I like both but prefer the Sadowsky. The NYC I had weighed a ton and the Sadowsky bass is a better made piece overall. On the other hand, I have a VW classic I'll never sell!:)

Rob

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What about a lakland US osborn? asuming its got a pre or you run the other passive?

AJ

8. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    between a NYC Fodera and a Sadowsky I'd probably pick the Sadowsky but it would come down to individual instruments and which one I liked best (lots of variables with hand-made basses)

between a Fodera VW Monarch and a Sadowsky Jazz? to me its no contest I'll take the Fodera Monarch everytime in a heart-beat!

A.J.

http://www.roadcatrecords.com

9. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i agree aj cause that's exactly what i did and i couldn't be happier. fodera is pretty much hand made from the ground up. sadowsky makes a great bass, but it's far from hand made in comparison to fodera.

10. I would vote Sadowsky as well.

I view them as more universally appealing, more "workhorse" kind of a sound. You see Sadowskys used in a lot of studio settings - one example is Will Lee. Yes, there are plenty of folks that use Foderas in the studio, but they are more virtuosos like Matt Garrison or Anthony Jackson.

Plus, whether new or used, the Sadowsky is less expensive.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yep me too - the Sadowsky hands down. It's just got that classic Jazz tone +++

The Fodera is great in its own right, but the Sadowsky's just got IT.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few totally custom, hand build basses that were bla. What's the difference if it's totally hand made?

13. I have a Fodera Monarch and a Sadowsky Vintage 5. While both are great basses, the Sadowsky goes to most of the gigs.

It has a tone that just always "works" and is right for any situation.

I don't care if a luthier used their own bandsaw or someone elses. Or a rasp or a router. It's the end product that is most important to me. "Hand made" these days does not guarantee anything... unfortunately. What seems to matter more is the level of committment the luthier has to quality and perfection. Both Roger and Vinnie have that committment.

Jeff

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The Sadowsky is not less expensive than the Fodera NYC new or used. The NYC 4 string MSRP is 2400. Street price is considerably less. I got mine used for 1200. Never seen Sadowsky even close to that price range. If Sadowsky's sold for that price then I would have one now instead of a Fodera NYC Empire.

brad cook

15. When I was hunting for my main and only bass I had a Fodera VW Monarch for to demo for a week. It's a great bass but I liked the Sadowsky jazz bass more and chose it over the Fodera. No regrets at all.

My second bass is in progress and is a spalt maple top Sadowsky PJ4.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Heavens to Betsy! you wash that mouth out, young man!

No way! yea, FunkyC, "NO" means "NO". :D

but seriously, i've been lookin' for a really decent current make jbass for a while. i love my parts bass, i'm thinking of selling to a friend, and getting something darker and more fingerstyle happenin', rather than the slap/funk machine my parts bass is.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Just making sure.. I wouldn't want to have to slap you :D