Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera NYC vs. Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I was wondering, from bass players who know both the Fodera NYC and the Sadowskys, which is a better sounding and playing bass?

From what I understand, they are both Fender (or classic) style basses. I know that the Sadowskys are more common and better known, but are they better worse or the same as the Fodera counterpart?:confused:

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I responded in another thread about the NYC Fodera. Understand there are two versions. The old one which your referring to and a new one which is far better and a 3 pc neck build by Fodera verse the warmoth built one your talking about.

I actually had very much the same question but was not dare going to ask it in fear of getting slammed.

Since you have brought it up I ask the same question.

I’ve had both come through the shop (Fodera NYC, Sadowsky) actually quite a few. As for the bass itself both very similar with any difference between the two. Now the Fodera came with a number of pickup and preamp combinations where the Sadowsky of course comes with pretty much the same pickup and preamp as always except for the older ones with Bartolini pre’s.

So why the difference in price other then NAME and why if Fodera has such a big name the old NYC doesn’t hold value? It’s very much the same bass as the Sadowsky.

I’m not saying anything bad about either, I think there both fine basses, but why is a Fodera NYC at $1000 used(and thats even tuff to get) when a Sadowsky is $2000 used?

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Brian: I read yor responce and that prompted my thread. I actually am interested in the newer Fodera made Fodera NYC. I am assuming they still make it.

Also: Why wouldn't you dare ask this question? Is this a Talkbass taboo I've stumbled on? Lakland and Modulus also make Fender (classic) style basses. Would it have been improper to ask about them too? Is there controversey between the two companies that I don't know about? I'm not looking to get people angery, just wanted to know the difference between the two. Tonal, playability, scale length, etc...

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The answer may be as simple as this: Foderas are known for their non-Jazz bass style basses. The rep doesn't extend to the NYC basses and neither does the resale value.

As far as getting slammed... by who?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ME, THAT'S WHO!!!!!:mad:

:D :p Just Kidding. I never played a Fodera NYC so I should shut up now.

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    In the Sadowsky thread, I think some people felt they were getting slammed for wondering why an assembled as oppossed to a hand made bass cost so much. It seemed pretty weird in reading that thread, almost like every was a champion of that brand. I guess people are trying to phrase things differently in light of opinions.

Or maybe I am totally off in left field. I have been watching the part in Old School where the Dan Band sings Total Eclipse of the Heart over and over, and I feel my life is spiraling out of control. f***ing every time I nearly fall apart!!!!

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    In the Sadowsky thread you had one person (maybe two;)) talking out of his butt IMO. Not only did he supposedly buy several Sadowskys, even though he didn't really like them, he then said he could build build a Warmoth like a Sadowsky for under a grand. That was pure fiction.

No one apeears to be doing that here... if they did why wouldn't they expect opposition?

8. i think that different forums have different personalities. i also frequent the low down lowdown at musicplayer.com (oops! can i say that here? ;)) and they're completely different than here. they have a completely different vibe and attitude.

for example, the few people there who are in the market for a bass of the sadowsky type, they all prefer lull over sadowsky. whereas here, there is a very strong sadowsky contigent and virtually no lull presence. not right or wrong, just a matter of personality.

it can actually be very uncomfortable posting to the contrary of the sadowsky lovers, not because they're vocal, vicious, or wrong, but because they're so numerous. even with the fodera love around here, it does seem a bit like heresy to question the sadowsky jazz dominance.

robb.

9. fine, dominance is the wrong word. prevalence.

it can be uncomfortable posting a preference other than sadowsky, given the prevalence of sadowsky love around here. again, this is not against the sadowsky lovers. you've done nothing wrong (and you've done a lot of things right). it's just difficult to be in the minority opinion.

robb.

10. I haven't played the new Fodera bolt on. I have played the NYC and thought it was a really nice bass. I think it comes down to personal preference.

I own both Sadowsky and Fodera basses. I bought them because they do what they do very well. They are also very different from each other. I would hate to choose between them.

Jeff

11. If these Fodera NYC basses (the three piece neck ones) are going for around $1,000 used, then I want to pick one up. That's a great value. I've been gassin' for one for a while, but couldn't put out all that money for a new one.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

OTOH I don't own a Sadowsky and have given nothing but my honest opinion of them ( I like them)and any other basses I've come across. You will see a lot of Sadowsky support in threads that pertain to them or basses like them.... that's to be expected IMO. No big deal. They like what they like. So do I.

Remember, if someone's feathers get ruffled over that it's their problem, not yours (unless you choose the "troll" style of posting). The only "bias" I've seen here is the normal bias of people who love what they have. It's call passion.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Why I oughtta...
    :mad: :D

14. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Have played both and enjoyed the sound on both - pre-amps are great. Don't know if I was playing an old or new NYC

From an ergonomic standpoint, the NYC was heavy (I've only played one) but worse - there was a noticeable neck dive i.e. it is neck/headstock heavy. Balance on the Sadowskys (played 3) was perfect.

However, maybe the right strap could be found for the extra $1K!

T

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I once thought,"Why do Sadoswky basses cost so much used?". The fact is that a used Sadowsky sells for about 60% of its list/original cost--the same as most other basses out there.

Basses like Fodera, MTD, Alembic cost much more than a new Sadowsky and resale for a higher percentage. (Maybe that's why I don't have a Fodera)

What is the buy/sell ratio on the NYC?

16. i've never felt uncomfortable posting my opinions, even contrary ones, but i could see how someone else would. i guess i was just trying to relate to that. i'm going to let it go. it's tough when there's only words and no voices -- if i had spoken what i wrote, there'd be no misunderstanding. whatever. no big deal.

i wish i could buy either of those basses. i guarantee they'd be better than the J-clone i have. it's a 1999 fender MIM. :cool:

robb.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ya know, I have an NYC Empire 4 string. It was made in '97 and has the one-piece neck and it is a sweet bass. As stated above it is a bit heavy (I think 10 lbs) and it did have some neck dive but that was fixed with a Comfort Strapp. No more dive. Anyway...this bass has serious tone and nice playability. The body is all swamp ash with maple neck and rosewood board. I really dig it and I've had it for 4 years. This ain't no Warmoth.

[​IMG]

18. i have ultra jazz pickups in it, though i didn't realize they MIA jazz have different pickups. so it's pretty frankenstein these days, but it has good tone and miles of vibe. it feels really, really nice. every time i set it up, it feels better than the time before.

i would put a new bridge on it, but i decided i'd rather save my money for a nice bass i don't have to upgrade.

robb.

19. Dondi

Dondi

May 3, 2003
    NYC
    Thank goodness that I don't see the kind of petty bickering on this site as in some other bass sites. Its an interesting discussion, though.
    At the top end of any industry there will be differences in concept and method but its not strange that the quality may be very simillar. I have spoken with Mr. Roger* Sadowsky and also with Vinny Fodera an his partner Joey Lauricella. I have seen Fodera work on instruments in the shop in Brooklyn as well. I mean I've seen him with a wood file slowly and lovingly working on a bass' body in a wood vise. It was quite a sight. All of the aformentioned gentlemen have the dedication and attention to detail that it takes. By the way, I believe that Fodera's history includes work with Spector and with Smith Basses. They also make much more exotic and high-end instruments as part of their lines. I don't know what Sadowsky's history is, but he's pretty much nailed the great "Jazz Bass" concept.
    What I do know is that here in NYC we are most fortunate to have the opportunity for such discussions: two world class luthiers within a few miles of each other.

* sorry!, I was thinking of Bill Bartolini at the same time.

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What's that's supposed to mean?:mad:

:p