Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Jan 2, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    In an unprecedented move- i think im getting a Fodera Monarch 5- ive never played a Fodera- i dont know what to expect- ive played lots of basses- but never a Fodera- any feedback?
    here she is..
    [​IMG]

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I played a 4-string at Bass Central a few months ago. It was an incredible bass. I may get chastised for this, but I'll say it anyway: it reminded me somewhat of my Spector.

That, by the way, is a good thing;)

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    By the way...Vinnie Fodera apprenticed for Stuart Spector some time back, which might explain some of the similarities.

4. i played a fiver at a local music store that was roughly the same model and it was incredible, but for the price it still wasn't quite worth it to me.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't know what to tell you:D

There's an almost identical model here at a local store... main differences- it's a lined fretless and the board isn't Maple. Otherwise it looks like your pic

I've played Foderas that sounded great and some that were amazingly ordinary for the money.

Good luck.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've played THAT Fodera! Amazing instrument. It would be one of the top basses I've ever played...if it had an Ebony board.

Sorry I can't say much more than that, I didn't get a chance to give it an in depth review. However, it's an outstanding bass, and I GUARANTEE you'll be very, very happy with it.

Edit: By the way, it and the fretless Monarch they the same store I played that used to have have the best necks I've ever played on.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    thanks guys - im looking forward to it- keep your comments coming!!

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive owned two 5's and i have one on order right now. i think their 35" scale 5'ers are the best thing in the business. i love the duncan dual coils. you split em' and you have the best 5 string jazz bass sound out there, you run em' in dual coil mode and you have a great modern sounding bass. the necks are the best ive played. out of all the high end stuff ive owned, foderas are the only basses ive had where i can set up the neck perfectly straight and have low action at the bridge without any fretbuzz in the first 5 frets. the truss rod also doesnt feel like you're maxing it out when you get the neck straight. and even if you pick it up used, they take care of you. i could go on for days.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not trying to be a scrooge, Adrian and I hope the one you're getting is "the one". IME magic is not guaranteed.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played the 5er at GC/Atlanta. VERY nice bass, but TO ME, it wasn't worth $5890 that they're asking. It's an amazing work of art by itself. Beautiful burled top with matching headstock.

BTW, can I have your 535? :D

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Brad- your opinion counts- i know you know your stuff- i was going to email u privately about this- but i feel confident- if i hate it- im sure ill be able to recoup-we'll see.. hope the person im getting it from doesnt back out now that everyone says its such a fine bass!- ok, it sucks!! it sucks!! ill take it off your hands!!

13. Love that buckeye full top!

Congrats on a fine bass.

Hope it plays well,
    Jeff

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It is most definitely a work of art.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's chestnut, IIRC. Buckeye is usually of a blueish tint. At least usually...but I think this one is chestnut.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yes its made form Chet's nuts - roasted on an open fire- :eek:

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    *cringe*... and thank goodness I'm not Chet.

18. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    If I could justify the expense, that is what I would have.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I found two of these in 2001, both fretlesses... one was offered at GC for $2400. If only it wasn't fretless;)

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If that sorta deal pops up near me I may haveta bite.

Peace,

James