Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera or MTD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Which do you guys prefer and why?

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Well if i was buying a new main bass,(Which i would NEVER do being that my Roscoe is my main ax) I'd get a MTD because i prefer most MTDs' slap tones(that i've heard). To me they sound rather close finger tone wise though the Fodera might have a little more punch and thickness...maybe.

OTOH if i was just buying another/backup bass (and had a @%$^&load of money to burn) I'd get a Fodera just to have one!

Both basses seem to be just plain outstanding in tone and playability (arguably the two most important catagories). Though for Value the choice is obvious. :bassist:

3. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I vote Third Party... Modulus. Or Lakland 55-94 Deluxe. Or Pedulla...

:meh:

How about just not a Fodera? (Disregard my Screen Name)

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The perfect combination of the two...

Nordstrand singlecut! ;)

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Foderas and MTDs are so vastly different in concept and intention that they're hardly comparable.

The short version:

Fodera - ultimately flexible update on a vintage type of tone, clear yet woody, seem to be setup for ex-jazz bassers

MTD - crystal and cutting, modern tone, and the most complex midrange around, ultimate in playability

that's IMHO, of course :D

sound clips of my MTD 535 & Fodera Emperor at www.basstasters.com - as you well know.

what exactly are you looking for?

6. Vanselus has both. So does Brad. And of course, Adrian. I have both too. If I could only choose one, it'd be the MTD. But I don't have to choose--thank heaven.

7. I've owned both. They are certainly great basses. Given the option, I'd get a Nordstrand.

Jeff

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Fodera. I've never played an MTD I liked.

9. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I guess i like the MTD better. I am not really sure though. They're both incredible basses, but i've heard and played more MTD's that i liked than foderas. That and the MTD's body shape is prettier than any of the Foderas.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Well, I have to throw a Conklin grenade in here!!!

:D

11. Well, I've played an MTD 535 and a Fodera Vic Wooten, and they were quite a world apart.

The MTD was somewhat muffled (?) sounding and not as crystal clear as what I've heard them to be.

The Vic Wooten was pretty impressive. I've never been a fan of EMG pickups, but that one really sang! It was also really easy to play.

Comfortwise, I'd go with the MTD. Sound wise...I'm not sure.