Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera - Pope electronics help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by niomosy, Jan 13, 2006.

1. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Looks like the active electronics aren't behaving (at least as far as I can tell). I went to play and... nothing. Maybe a thud here and there. Just to make sure it was the bass, I tried another amp and got the same results. If I switch it to passive I'm fine.

Dead batteries? That's what I thought at first. The batteries in it seem okay. I went through all the 9v's I could find in the house and nothing was working. I'll try to pick up a new batch and put them in. For now, I guess I'm playing passive.

I did notice that someone had plugged the cord into the passive side on the EA iAmp 800 but I hadn't noticed that until after. I don't think it should make a difference but figured it worth mentioning.

Any thoughts? Maybe I did just have a batch of batteries that were past their prime? Seems reasonable enough. I just hope that's all it is ;)

2. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I've ended up with bad batteries a few times over the years. Look inside the pre cavity to make sure no wire soldering joints have come loose. If need be, give them a call right away cause they're going to NAMM next week. Or if you're going to NAMM, bring your bass and have them take a look at there.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I assume you don't have a meter or you'd have checked the batteries with that. About $15 and a basic tool that's needed for a player cause useful for trouble shooting basic problems like this one.

You know it's not the pups and not componets involved in passive mode. If the bass is shielded, any hot lead contacting that shielding will ground out. So I'd look for any such lead close the the floor or wall if it's shielded. Another common problem is battery clips. The leads can break off back inside some of the clips where you can't see it so you would know without tearing the clip apart, replacing the clip, or having a meter to check it with. Pre's of about 10 years in age are known to die.

Output would actually be more in the passive (hi gain) amp input than active (lo gain) input.

I would also contact Fodera - in fact if it's under warranty that's the first thing I'd do after a battery swap. I wouldn't touch it otherwise till then. They may know something you need to know first, like your options for needed repair while retainging warranty.

4. Hi i recently had the exact problem with my lakland 55-94 stressfull times. i sent it in to a guy and he could find anything wrong on the bass so he narrowed it down to my the possbility of there being a bad connection between the jack on my cable and the input . apparantly the active and passive circuits connect at different points on the jack plug. so check the width of your jaks on your cables . some brands have minute difference . i found my passive circut was connecting but my active on wasnt. hope this helps .

Fodera !!!!! lovely hope to have one one day . which series is it?

5. sorry! i Apologise for the bad english in my previous reply.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That's good info.

I've noticed there are a lot of jacks that don't like the monster cable and had a few that absolutely refuse to take them. Never had issue with a cheap cable.

Nothing's standard in the bass world so why should phone plugs be any different.