Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by B String, Jan 18, 2003.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Anyone use a fodera preamp?
    What do you use it for? Any good?

2. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
  3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    hi,
    i got a fodera preamp two weeks ago...

I love it ! I play all of my basses thru it, bypassing the onboard circuits.

The midrange circuit makes all the diffrence in the world to me.

I play Smiths with 3 band and when i started looking for an outboard pre i looked at the Sadowsky and the aguilar.. I'm so glad i went with the Fodera. Though I might get the Sadowsky to go with
    my Jb.

I do not think you could be dissapointed for the price.

When I ordered it David told me that it is now the SAME preamp that is in the basses; does that make it the Pope preamp ?

4. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking of using the pre amp
    into the effects return of my old
    Walter Woods amp, which is not
    too good for electric bass. Mabey
    I'll bypass the preamp in my GK 800.
    Would this work?

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you could do it, though i'm not at all familiar with the walter woods amp.

6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This would be going straight
    into the power section of my
    amps. I'd be using the Fodera
    instead of a rack mount preamp.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    so you'd run the bass thru the pre and into power ? I don't see why it wouldn't work.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You're talking about the 2000, right? If so, I own one and I love it! Really shapes the tone nicely and it's very simple to use. The battery lasts a looonnng time, too.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    had one... sold it to jeff rader for the sadowsky. couldnt be hapier now. was not a huge fan of the fodera

11. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ya know boys...Ya never know
    till you try it. Anyone know where
    I can find one used? Huh? I'm
    ready to experiment! (Fodera 2000
    preamp)

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i tried to find a used one...no such luck. They are only $239.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They do show up on ebay once/twice per month.

14. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks.. I'm lookin

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    EUREKA! On a whim, I bought a Fodera 2000 2 weeks ago and used it last Friday with my fretless Fbass. There was the sound I've been looking for for over 30 years. I've gone through appx. $20,000 worth of basses (if you don't believe me, check out my profile) and never quite got the sound I wanted and all along it was hiding in this little box? I am so stoked, and am anxious to try it with some of my other basses (full roar at practice). I love the tone so much, I don't even want to see what other sounds I can get-I set everything on the preamp at 1 o'clock and everything on the Fbass neutral (active engaged). Words can't express the feeling of finding the elusive sound. It was worth it alone to watch my bandmates jaws drop when I hooked into it. BTW, the Fbass sounds okay without it, nice, but not special. I'll definitely post more when I've tried it with other basses. I am SOOO happy!

16. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OH MY GAWD!!!
    Just used my new (used) fodera 2000 preamp
    for the last few days. This thing rocks....
    Took it straight into the power section of my
    gk 800 and my walter woods. This kicks ass
    for a small amount of money. Not too versatile,
    but that one sound is thick money. Seems to
    work for alot of styles. Couldn't be happier!

17. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Okay, since we're gigging tonite I thought I'd better check out other basses with the 2000 before I go public. It waaay fattened up the tone of my Elrick fretless singlecut neck-through (see avatar), and had less but some effect with my Roscoe LG-3005. Up until now I thought the Fulltone Bassdrive was the best effect I had, but this thing is a step beyond. It vastly improved my Elrick and Fbass. It helped the Roscoe. Next week I'll try it with the Pedulla and Sukop.

18. I've been doing some searching and came on this thread.
    What I need is a outboard for my Lakland USA Joe Osborn with Lindey Fralins. The problem is when I plug both my basses into my Walter Woods Ultra (one bass per channel) and run my Radial JDI DI box from the Woods line out the Jazz bass is too weak compare to my Sadowsky active bass. That means when I switch basses the sound man will have to adjust for the weaker signal.

I've owned a Sadowsky outboard the newer one and sent it back last year before I had this senario. It made my jazz bass sound beautiful but when playing with the band it didn't cut as well so I found myself cutting it off... was too thick sounding.

Note: My jazz bass is a wonderful sounding passive. I would really just like to boost the signal because the Woods has all the eq I need.