Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera private pratice amp questions/comparisons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am looking at buying a headphone amp that will let me play along with CD's. Does anyone have one of these units? What do you like or not like about it? I am confused about this music minus one comment...here is the official Fodera summary...

This is a brand new Fodera practice amp. Power supply included. This is what the Fodera website says about this unit. Fodera Guitars introduces The Private Practice Amp. This hand made, compact portable unit is designed for use with headphones, boasting great sound and practical features. Born of the same knowledge and experience that has made the Model 2000 Pre-Amp a huge success, The Private Practice Amp is a well thought out accessory for any musician. The Private Practice Amp is made up of three sections. The instrument input section accepts a standard ¼" guitar cord and gives you access to treble, bass, and volume for the instrument. The line input section accepts 2 phono plugs (left & right) for a discrete stereo signal. A Stereo/Mono switch makes the line input monaural only. This is handy for those who play along with music-minus-one recordings...plug in only one channel and flip the switch to hear it in both ears! Use the discrete line input volume control to balance the level with the instrument. The output section consists of a master volume with plenty of punch. The Private Practice Amp operates from a power supply or batteries.

Anyone know what this means. Also any other suggestion for a nice headphone amp would be appreciated, Thanks, Marc

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I have the Raven Labs PHA-1 headphone/preamp and it is pretty similar. The 'music minus one' would be a recording that has the bass on one channel so you can pull it out when you play along (like an instruction manual CD/tape). If the bass is in the right channel, you just turn the right channel down to take the recorded bass out, and you will be listening to the other recorded music and your bass.

I really like the PHA-1, and it also works as a decent preamp into my power amp. I bring it to gigs for a backup. They go for $209 new with headphones and a patch cord.

Here is some info: Raven Labs PHA-1

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I just got a Korg Pandora PX4B and it's a great practice tool!

I like it mainly because it has built-in drum beats that you can play to.

The PX4B has a CD input too, but it's an 1/8" stereo connector. I would have preferred the separate left/right inputs & mono switch that the Fodera unit has (for use with the 'minus one' recordings), but that can be worked around.
    Music 'minus one' is a CD with something like drums in both channels and piano panned left and bass panned right (for example). If you play guitar, you can jam to the whole thing. If you're a bassist, you can pan out the bass channel, and likewise for the piano player. Once you pan out your instrument you engage the mono switch so you can hear the CD in both ears while you play your bass to it.

The PX4B also has several amp/cab settings, most of which aren't that good, but there's a couple of decent ones. It has a bank of preset sounds and most of them (if not all of them) are useless, but YOU can make some VERY good sounds for yourself and save them into user presets and it also has a palette of effects that you can tailor to your sounds.
    There's a Phrase Sampler too that records up to 30 seconds, but I haven't even looked at that yet.

I'm not sure how well the sound quality of the PX4B stacks up to the Fodera (I've never tried the Fodera), but I like having the drum beats and it's just for practice anyway.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY