1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonykbass, Feb 24, 2008.

1. tonykbass

tonykbass

Feb 20, 2008
    has anyone encounter problems with Fodera basses whatsoever?
    I once order a Emperor II 5 elite, the tone wobbles on the B string from 12th fret up that I had to send it back.
    I have lost confidence in Foderas since.

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    That's pretty common with low B strings man, they generally just don't do very well when stopped short. Better to play those notes on a higher string.

3. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Even on a $8k bass? I thought they are supposed to solve that kinda problems and that's the reason for the upcharge against most other basses.

4. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    yeah, its just the nature of 5 strings.

one reason why it is very difficult for me to switch to playing 5's...

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Even an $8,000 bass can't change physics.

6. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Yes, i understand it doesn't change physics. It's more forgiving on a less expensive instrument i guess.
    When you pay so much, you will at least expect a perfect or slightly less than perfect instrument... and we not talking about tonal preferences at this point.

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I agree.

8. Slain

Slain

May 23, 2007
    Australia
    You're right man, you'd think with all that money they just forked from you they'd at least check everything was in working order and it all sounded good... I mean seriously, it's 8 grand, go figure:bassist:

9. U think that u pay 8k $ for something impossible? (at least not yet possible)
    Some things simply can't be made at this moment...
    BUT
    u pay that money for an absolute instrument and ofcourse for a brand name.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The tone wobbles? What's that? For $8K, I don't want no wobbly tone, neither.

11. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Maybe if you lower the bass sides of the pickups the effect will be less noticable. Still not good that it is there in the first place

12. 8 grand is where you went wrong man, im sorry to hear about your bad luck man.

13. macboy

macboy

Jan 21, 2008
    usa
    8k for a piece of wood? compare that 8grand to $800 japanese and korean made and the truth will set you free!

14. +1. I've never experienced a low B that was useful past the 15th fret/stop. Most I know stop at the 12th, but my Conklin still sounds good at the 15th. Past that, the overtones start taking over, and yes....play the damn note on the next string!!!!!!!

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Fodera problems? Yeah, too damn expensive for me! Beautiful basses though, long may they continue to be so!

16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    wow, I didn't think it was possible. I found someone pickier than I am!

17. You're going to encounter this with just about any bass you pick up. The B string is really doing its best played up that high. Play it on a higher string.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the bass being a Fodera. For you to lose confidence in your Fodera for this is sad.

18. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I hear ya brother;)

19. Hey, that's a little out of context. :D

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Everyone freaks out when talking about $6-10k basses because it's just "a bunch of wood", but relative to other instruments we have it absolutely cheap. Try purchasing a fine double bass intended for orchestral playing, or any other orchestral stringed, brass, or woodwind instrument. $10k is a lot for an electric bass, but not very much at all compared to other instruments. For some people, it's worth it.

But if you don't like the way the B plays above the 12th fret, there isn't much you can do at any price.

Have you tried different strings? String have a massive effect on this. What are you using now?