fodera quote - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slot, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    hey guys.

ive sent an email to fodera asking for a quote on an instrument of this calibre but havent yet got a reply.

just wondering if any of you guys have a rough estimate of how much an instrument like this may cost.

please tell me less than 7 ...haha
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I think $7K for a copy of that bass is wishful thinking. I recently swapped a couple of emails with one of Fodera's best-known dealers (I won't say who) - for an Imperial Elite 5 with few additional options, I was quoted over $6000 USD.
  3. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York

We sold that specific instrument around two years ago and it was quite the extordinary piece. FYI - you can recreate that instrument but you won't find a top like that one; Those pieces of Chestnut are long, long gone.

What a bass though. Absolutely stunning. The owner dubbed it "The Beast", and rightly so. We'd love to see that piece make it back to the shop again.
  4. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    I think that bass was owned by Bob Kennedy, lives here in austin. Last i heard it went to Japan and they sold it for like $20,000. Hey Joel correct me if im wrong but didnt sell it used for like $8,000. So now a new one is going to cost you quite a bit.
  5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I know the original owner of that bass. Yes WELL over $7000 when he bought it new.
  6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Hi Greg,
    Yes, we sold it and sent it to Japan. It sold "used" for a good deal more than $7K.
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Man, that top is unreal.

8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Your firstborn? ;)
  9. Yeah it is. Fodera knows how to pick 'em.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, just commands, "Kneel before Zod!"

11. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Thanks for the info guys.

Out of my price range then, thats for sure.

What would a model that is strucually and electronically similar go for, if it didnt have such exotic woods and fancy veneering?

Would that still be over 7?
  12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Vinnie says, Just pencil in the GDP of Australia for the year!!, He said He'll ship it for free though!!
  13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Slot...depends on how fancy you got. You could do it for less than 7 for sure. My bass was below 7 and my bass is just off the scale, but that was before the latest price increase ..
  14. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    you can get a 5 string emperor II with an exotic top, you can't get chesnut burl though anymore, i would reccomend poplar burl, closest looking to it IMHO, with the pope pre-amp, ebony board and mahogany body for anywhere between 5500-6500. I was looking at getting a 6 string Edwards with a koa top,walnut body, and kingwood board and it would have been either 5775 or 6100 depending on what dealer i ordered from, but that was before the increase now it will be 15% more. But if you order from Fodera then no way is it going to be under 7 grand.
  15. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Nordstrand may be a possibility for you (Nordstrand Guitars). However, I've heard that the electronics are more Fender-esque in terms of tone.