1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fodera richard bona emg cuestion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by modulusan, Apr 13, 2010.

1. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    hi, Im making one 5 strings singlecut with the same woods than the fodera imperial bona.
    I really like how sound his bass in passive mode but I dont know which model of emg pickups he use...

thanks for the info.

2. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I own a fodera that is really close to Bona's bass.
    I don't have emg pu on mine, but I manage to have a tone that is very close if I want to.

But I think there's a lot to do with having the bridge pu soloed and trying combinations with the tonality control.

Bona sounds the same with a jazz bass.

Of course it's in the hands for the rest...
    hope this helps anyway...

3. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    I was wondering the same thing. Someone asked in the Richard Bona web site's forum but he answered that he didn't know and that the best person to ask to was Mr.Fodera.

I sent an email to Fodera ages ago. I am still waiting for an answer. :(

4. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Try emailing us here:

service@fodera.com

Cheers!

Jason

5. Silent Fly

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    done :)

6. Silent Fly

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    Mistery solved: EMG 40J and EMG 45J

7. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Folks, before anyone points it out -- the 45J can also be used for a 6-string, however, we have used them on 5-strings as well and this is the actual pup uses on Richard's bass...

8. thanderbolt

thanderbolt

Nov 5, 2009
    Arent the 40J and the 45J pickups active? I know its kinda late for me to ask now, but better late than never I guess?

Tim

9. heephax

heephax

Mar 28, 2011

But what difference does it do, that you have put in the 6-string model for it? (and is it the bridge or the neck pu, that is the 45J?) I wrote to EMG and they said it wouldn't be possible to do that. i would have done the same with my four string bass. (35J and 40J)

cheers

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    EMG soapbar names are based on their length: 35 = 3.5", 40 = 4.0", 45 = 4.5". Bridge pickups generally have to be longer than the neck pickups because of the string spacing differences. If you prefer something huge like 19mm on a 5-string, 4.5" soapbars are going to cover the string spacing more adequately.

It's the same thing that most jazz pickup makers do - the bridge pickup is longer than the neck pickup.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The EMG soapbar J pickups have a continuous blade, and are stacked humbuckers, same as in the regular EMG Jazz pickups. You can use them for any number of strings that will fit over the sensing area of the pickup.

The older soapbar Js used a long diagonal coil, that went from corner to corner. The new ones use a coil the same size as one half of a humbucker, like the DC.

I used to use the 40J and 40P5 in all my 5 string basses.

12. bassrad

bassrad

Jan 14, 2005
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Thanks for all great info.

Could you clarify if 40 and 45 are both used on Bona's bass?
    40 in the neck position and 45 in bridge position.

On all the photos of Bona's bass both pickups look the same, I would think that 1/2 inch difference in size would be noticeable.

Thanks,

R.

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    He said the 45J was used. He was saying it can be used on 5 or 6 string basses.