Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera sound-alike

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Javy, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    Does anybody know of a bass in the $600 to $1200 range that sounds somewhat like a Fodera? I'm sure there's not an exact match, but maybe something that comes close. I'm tired of my bland Yamaha BBN5 and want something that sounds more like Victor Wooten's bass(es).

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's in the hands...so practice!

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well.. I don't think you'll be able to sound like Mr. Wooten. You will have to have his bass(es), his hands, his brain, his rig, you will have to be him. Of course it isn't necessary to sound like him to have a good tone. I for one love Victors tone, and there are alot of basses that give you a nice growl. these may not be in your $ range but. czech spector, AM. SPector, MM stingray, Pedulla bass, brian moore basses, warwicks, all of these basses sound excellent to my ear.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    oh wait. how could I have missed this. MTD kingston or MTD heir. excellent basses for under $600. extremely nice

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Vic will sound like "Vic" even if he were playing your BBN5 through a cheap Crate combo amp. Most of his tone is due to his percussive style of playing. It REALLY IS IN THE HANDS! He favors EMG active pickups (not to be confused with the cheaper EMG-HZ models). EMGs tend to have a distinctive sound, so I would probably start with that as a basis for any bass you'd look at (not sure if the preamp circuts he uses are EMG ] :confused: ). I believe most (if not all) of his basses are neck-thrus. Not that this matters a whole lot, but it's one more ingredient to consider. He seems to have a lot of "click" in his tone, which may be duplicated to some tiny degree by setting your action very low. He also uses Ampeg heads & cabinets

In case you're interested, here's a link to Vic's setup...
    http://victorwooten.com/bassguitar.htm

Good luck in your quest,

- Frank.

6. if you get any good bass with a p-j setup and put emg's in them you will take a huge step towards vic's tone. I just put an emg in my fender p and I was amazed at how victorish it sounded, yet it still had "my" sound (as well as the p-bass thump).

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Maybe for $2,000 to $2,500 you can get that sound.