Fodera Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Is this Vinnie's version of a more affordable Fodera? This one will retail for $2934.
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That doesn't look like much to me for $3k.

I wonder if that is list.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was told by them that the price is retail.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    To me it kinda seems like the NYC Empire but with more of a Fodera body instead of a j body. Also in the same price range.

Basically looks like a stripped down nice wood on headstock etc...

What are the pup and pre options?

brad cook
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Isn't that what we had at the GTG?
    just w/ a fancy top?
  6. I actually talked to David Beasley of The Groove Shop and am going down to try one of the new Standard series. They are all bolt on, with all the ones I've seen having the Mike Pope pre-amp with only bass and treble. There is also a bolt on Fodera in Manny's music on 48st in Manhatten for those who can go. Its pretty sweet, but could use a set-up. Im also not sure if it is the new Standerd series because they had a price tag of about 4500 on it. (ofcourse they could just have put a really big price tag on it for kicks, or it could be something special). Seems pretty expensive, but I love Fodera's and Im not going to knock them until I've atleast played it

*edited for clarification
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've played the Vic bolt on which is basically what the standards are like.

The body seen in this thread is the monarch body, it is not like the NYC bass in that I don't think it's CNC'd (I believe the NYC's are right?). It is still handmade but they crank them out in groups apparently instead of one at a time...

And to me it's not worth 3k at all. It's just not that special, especially compared with their "normal" stuff. No bolt on 4 string is worth 3k to me though so...
  8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I agree. The photos we had posted really did not do the bass justice. I've ust updated the "Basses" page with a photo of a New Standard Victor Wooten model that sold last week. I think the choice of top wood and the overall photo quality better represent the bass in a more accurate light.

Granted, I have a bit of skin in the game, but I can tell you that the sound, playabiltiy and construction quality of these instruments far surpasses that of the high-end bolt-on basses that I've played lately.

I'm a big fan of bolt-on basses and was literally blown away when I played the first New Standard Monarch. These instruments are everything that Fodera is known for, without the wait or custom price tag. Truthfully, if I didn't believe in these, I wouldn't be involved on any level.

Anyway, I don't want to violate any of the TB rules by talking about my business; I just wanted to add my observation on the New Standard Series. Thanks for checking out the site guys.
  9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Actually I should clarify my post since it sounded a bit negative...

The bass I played definitely had the Vic Wooten sound...sounded good for sure. But to me the playability wasn't notably better than any other four string out there...maybe it's just the nature of the number of strings but I think their five stringers have a much more "wow" factor to the playability than the bolt on 4 I tried...

Plus I just don't like 4's anymore...
  10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Are the Bodies & Neck honestly being made in house or are they out sourceing them. I realize they might do some of the work, but are they really doing everything from ground up on these basses.... honestly???

Just wondering:D
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Sugar-coated way of calling somebody a liar there. I'm just not sure yet who.
  12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Seems like a valid enough question to me.
  13. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Edit: sorry, no concern of mine.
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Now I'm wondering what you posted? :confused:
  15. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Too late I guess. I said it wasn't a question.
  16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ok...Actually I didn't realize it wasn't a question because you didn't really say that..just that it was no concern of yours...but no matter I suppose. :)

Actually to clarify my post concerning "seems like a valid blah blah" I should have quoted Brian, it was more in response to what he said. I just hit quote on your post because your comment was in the same "line" of commentary...hope that didn't cause any confusion ;)
  17. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    No, I meant what Brian said wasn't a question. Anywho. . .getting in even deeper here, let's drop it. :)
  18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Talk about a dis-jointed thread. :confused:

Well this looks like a much better alternative to going to Cort or Samick and telling them to build a bass that is light-years away from a real deal Fodera. I'm sure we won't be seeing these in the MF catalog. This just seems like a sound businesses decision like Roger Sadowsky's desicion to have closely spec'd basses built by one of Japan's top bass luthiers.

I've been GAS'ssing for a Monarch 4 for quite some time now but I'm more prone to stick with a set neck. I'm sure that the screw-on neck is just fine but I've always loved the Fodera set-neck and neck-thru basses.
  19. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Hello all,

To be respectful to the TB guidelines, I don't want to jump in too often.

Just to clarify though, Fodera has always offered bolt-ons basses as an option so I'm not sure what prompted the "outsourced" or "imported" notions.

My sense is though that the lower-than-usual price tag could raise eyebrows. The reality is that by building three or four basses to identical, non-specific specs, Fodera can build them in a bit less time. A bolt-on design and a standard set of options facilitates both the shorter build times and the lower price tag.

This is very different than the recent Asian outsourcing strategies embraced by many high-end manufacturers. I've seen some really nice Skyline Laklands and two beautiful Sadowsky Japan basses over the last couple of months, so that strategy obviously works and I'm in no way suggesting it doesn't. These really are apples and oranges though.

I hope this is helpful.
  20. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i guess a moderator should comment on that, but it seems cool to me - since other posters are asking questions...

seems great that you're trying to answer them and enlighten people (definitely a far cry from marketing, no?)