1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera strings - tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by walbassist, Dec 9, 2017.

1. walbassist

walbassist

Jan 29, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Hello all

I have used 45-130 Fodera nickel rounds for a while. I really like them, and I find the "medium tension" (as described by Fodera) to be perfect for me.

My question though, is are the Heavy (50-135) set a similarly "medium" tension, or are they higher? The reason I ask is that while I know heavier gauge usually equates to a higher tension, some manufacturers compensate to try and keep them about the same. Anyone know what Fodera do?

Cheers

Gareth

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. If the strings are the same model, same materials , but heavier, they should have more tension.

3. walbassist

walbassist

Jan 29, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Yes, that is my assumption, but it is possible to adjust the tension of strings regardless of gauge, and I was wondering if Fodera do this.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Only by a small amount.

Tension at a certain pitch on a certain scale is determined by the string mass, which is determined primarily by the gauge, but also by the string structure density. You can keep gauge constant and alter the structure to make the string 'denser' and therefore heavier, but only by a small amount because a well-functioning bass string doesn't allow you to change the structure much.

When a certain string set lineup (for example D'Addario Prosteels roundwounds) has different sets, each set is meant to be a different tension because a variety of tensions is the intent, to satisfy the various tastes of players, so the one with larger gauges will always have higher tension.

Going from 45-130 to 50-135 means the gauge increase is effectively larger for the high stirngs than the low strings, 5 in 50 is a larger proportion than 5 in 135, so the G will be significantly tighter, while the low B only a little tighter.
    The steps in gauge should ideally get smaller for higher strings, but most brands use steps of .005.

lz4005 likes this.
  5. walbassist

walbassist

Jan 29, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for that. Yes, I guess if manufacturers had managed to conquer the laws of physics we'd be playing truly balanced sets in any gauge we wanted!