Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera - the big question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Ok so I have a new custom fretless 5 string on the way made by a great maker I know in Brighton, England - it's taken forever to make but it's gonna be beautiful - the finish is going on as I type and it's all looking great. I've had my Warwick Thumb for 14 years now and I haven't seen or played a better Warwick - bar a six string that was stunning to look at and great to play - but weighed a tonne! I already get back-ache with the current bass when I play for more than a couple of hours at a time.

So there's the history - but what about the next bass? The 'one' that will complete my collection - and also be the last component I would ever need as a musician. If I was going to save for a Fodera would it be worth it? I am thinking of getting a fretted 5, possible a six - but there's part of me that wants to bite the bullet and finally get a double bass...doh!

So if I was going to get the dosh together for a Fodera, I'm guessing my only option is to get my butt out to New York and pay the boys a visit in person? And exactly what kind of cash am I looking at paying for it?

Any thoughts on this general state of confusion would be gratefully received. Thanks

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    1. you'll never ever buy a bass and be "finished". GAS has no cure, man, you'll think you're done only to be sucked in by another, and another... It's happened to me several times, even resulting in a 90% gear turnover once this year alone!

2. Foderas are worth the money if you think they are. Way too subjective and the source of sore discussions here. Mine is worth every penny to me. (well, the one I played that made me order one exactly like it was, mine's not arrived yet but any day now!)

3. You also have options like dealers with them on hand, Bass Central has a couple at all times it seems, but it's farther away than NYC is so maybe Fodera proper is your closest option. Dunno about UK dealers.

4. Expect to pay over 3 grand US and you'll be fine. There's no upper limit although the retail on my yin/yang at $7319 is one of the highest I've seen (you'll pay less than retail of course, like MSRP on a car).

And 5. (related to 1.) You have the greatest Warwick ever, to you, and this gorge custom fretless arriving, so for the "next" one (i'm not saying "last" one), perhaps look for something that gives you what the others don't. Need another string for improv or chordal work? Maybe something with a specific tone that the others don't achieve? Completely different beast, like an EUB, doubled-course 8-string or a piccolo bass?

All up to you, man, but hopefully I've given you some ideas. And I'm the ficklest of them all when it comes to gear, I've bought some 9-10 basses in the past 5 months and still have, oh, 3 or 4 of them? Just trying to narrow the field to the ones that feel and sound the best to me. The Fodera was my unattainable dream 4-stringer that my girlfriend helped me actually get, so I may not have "better" but I'll probably still buy more. =0)