Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Vic Wooten Yin-Yang bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz5757, Jul 1, 2005.

1. I've always loved the look of these basses just about as much as I've hated the price :meh: I saw Vic last night play Harrah's in St. Louis and he was, as usual, jaw dropping. I'm under no illusion here that I play anywhere near his league but I'm looking for anyone who's played one of these or similar Fodera's to give me their take on the overall sound. I play in a pop rock band (Sheryl Crow, Three Doors Down, etc.) and there's just no point buying a bass, and for this much money that wouldn't work for playing this style of music. Naturally, Vic wasn't covering any of our tunes last night so it's a bit difficult to judge... ;) They did however do a arrangement of Led Zep's Kashmir... I'd be selling one of my two vintage p basses to help pay for it so obviously I need to proceed cautiously. Strangely enough my local Guitar Center doesn't have one in right now! :D Not gonna find one hanging around locally but I have found a used one. Any input on this topic is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Hey, I was there last night too. Great show. IMO, Vic's tone was lousy for "Kashmir." But it sounded great for his other songs... just way too modern sounding for a Zeppelin cover. If you plan on playing the songs you mentioned, the Fodera may not be the tool you need.

But of course, as others will quickly point out, there are myriads of factors that determine tone, and you or I will probably not sound like Vic, even if we play Vic's bass. Amps, strings, techiniques, etc. all come into play.

3. Cool show definitely...some pretty fine bass playing from those girl singers too! I agree, Vic's tone on Kashmir just didn't work....and probably won't work for me when i'm playing Boulevard of Broken Dreams either... :( ;)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would keep your P's. Fodera makes a nice bass, but you can do better for the money.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I would play one before you get your panties in an uproar :D.

Seriously, they're very well built instruments but as with anything...try before you buy. I was really hot to get one a few months ago until I tried one that didn't exactly rock my socks. You may fall in love and you may not. Have fun!

6. Thanks for the thoughts....probably right on target...

7. Mucho wisdom here. I could buy several used top-notch basses for the money and still put significant $$$ back in my pocket... I'm trying to connect with a local guy who supposedly has one but in any event I completely agree...I'll have to play one first.

8. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
  9. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    ...if you can stand the looks...

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'd strongly disagree with this. I don't think you can do better for the same amount of money or way less personally. But if it's not what you want and what will sound good to you, then it's a huge waste of money.

11. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    I bet if you would have taken one of your
    vintage P basses to Harrah's for Victor
    to play; he would of still sounded like
    Mr. Wooten.

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    We just got (and quickly sold) a four string Victor Wooten Yin/Yang. I'm not a four string player but I thought long and hard about keeping this bass. It was an absolute killer, killer bass - whether you are a Wooten fan or not.

13. Whenever I go to Manny's music in the city I go play the Vic signature Fodera. The tone is great, but the playability of it is off the wall. I've played the same bass when its action was high, and when it was super low and let me tell you, the neck felt so good it didn't matter. I was ripping off stuff on this thing that I couldn't even dream of on my Carvin...don't get me wrong my Carvin's a sick bass, but to me Fodera's are just on a whole different level. If I were you, I'd sell those Fenders immediately and buy the Fodera...that's just me though.

14. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Find one to play and if it speaks to you then buy it. I have never been impressed with the tone of Fodera but I think the playability is incredible. If I am not mistaken the wait is six months to a year for a new one. BassCentral seems to have a few in store and if I was going to part with that much cash I
    would fly down for the day and play one. Again, If you like the tone and the bass calls to you then go for it! :bassist:

15. FORGET ABOUT VICTOR WOOTEN BASSES!

I WANT VICTOR WOOTEN TEETH :D :D :D

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

So you've never been impressed with the tone of Anthony Jackson, Victor Wooten, Matt Garrison, Mike Pope, Richard Bona, or Dominique Dipiazza?

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think he meant the tone of a Fodera in his hands, that is, after all, what counts.

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Perhaps, but that's why you have to take pretty much everyone's opinion on this forum with a huge grain of salt.

Besides, my list also making a not so subtle point.

19. So far, I have limited experience with Fodera. In fact, I am thinking about heading to NYC to try a few jsut to learn about them more and get a better impression. However, so far my personal opinion is that some of them will have incredible mojo and some wont be so great.

I have found with Smith and Roscoe , most of their basses are awesome and a few are really average. I used to be a Roscoe fan and owned a SKB 6. THe tone was excellent for the most part. But I played a Roscoe SKB 5 that sounded like ass. It just sucked overall.It seemed to lack alot of definition and the strings were new.

So far, the only two manufacturers that impres the crap out of me are Zon and MTD. I have not played a bass from either company that wasn't awesome

If I were to buy a Fodera, it would have to be one that I personally played and liked. I wouldn't buy one based on reputation alone.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That good tone comes from a combination of the right bass, in the right players hand through the right recording rig? And that no one element is going to guarantee you good tone? ;)