Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera Victor Wooten Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hiphopbassist, Jun 5, 2002.

1. jonesing big time for one of these. need to know from you folks what you think of it. i'm looking at this as an "all around bass" i play mostly blues, a little reggae, some hiphop, and a little rock. any and all opinions will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. All Foderas basses are highly recommendable...
    I would run naked through a crowded street and smash my beloved Yamaha to get my hands on one...

If you are ready to pay up, then go for it!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just wanna agree with Josh,

have you played one hiphop? the Fodera's made for Vic's hands, and might not be what your hands or ears want. seems more a fast soloist instrument.

Also, Fodie's run into the $5K mark. :eek: instead of another Fodera, i say save your dough, and get a nice jazz bass. I got one and its great for my r&b/hiphop stuff. If its good enough for Hub from the Roots, its good enough for me. :)

4. thanks everybody for the replies so far. yes, i have had a chance to play an older model. i think the tone is phenomenal. with a little eqing, i got all kinds of cool tones out of this bass. seems to me it has all the versatility one would need in a custom bass. it's also lite weight which is a big plus for me. it feels very comfortable to play.

btw joker, i swear hub plays a p bass body with jazz pickups. thing looks like it went through a war. i wonder if it's custom?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool!

last time i saw the Roots was at Jones Beach and in the pit, i could see he had a sweet looking '70s jbass in a yellowed natural sans pickguard and black block fret markers. i also saw him using it on an episode of the HBO show "Reverb". but hey, he's entitled to more than one bass. the one you describe sounds mad sweet tho. :D

6. I own one of these beasts and I would say that there is a definite "Vic" sound to it. However this doesn't mean it isn't a versatile instrument. The Fodera pre is very flexible and it's possible to get a huge range of sounds. As others have said however try before you buy. The other of my Foderas is an Emperor and whilst there are similarities (a house sound if you like) the overall flavour is different. The Emperor has become more my sound. I still love the Vic though !!

7. I demo'd a Vic for a week a couple of years ago. I thought it was a very nice bass and fine for almost any style.

Like any fine bass with a pickup blend, nice preamp, good wood, and varying your attack and technique you will be set for nearly every style of music.

I ended up getting a Sadowsky instead.

8. hey jims, those were my findings too. i ordered it to day from bass central and it will be here tomorrow. funny, sadowsky was my other choice. sorry tb'ers, this boy has no digital camera so i can't post pics. since i bought this bass, got no money for one either, lol.

thanks again for everyone's input. it's much appreciated.

9. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Which one did you get? They had
    one with a Buckeye Burl top and one with a
    Flamed Maple top (I think).
    Congrats. Cool basses!
    Dan

10. N.B.: I almost had Bass Central this send a Vic to me this week but I controlled the g.a.s. and passed on it.

I thought it would be fun to have but I really don't need it and am quite content with my Sadowsky jazz and have a Sadowsky PJ4 on order for December.

11. got the flame maple. the burl just didn't do it for me. one last thing. i'll admit i'm stupid. what the heck does g.a.s. stand for? i should be able to figure this out, but i haven't yet. thanks.

12. Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    :D

13. The stupid people are the one's who do not ask questions. That's what this place if for. Go for it.

14. cool. props to whoever came up with that. i def have it bad. thanks again everybody for all the input and opinions.