1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fodera vs Alembic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tube, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Tube

Tube

Oct 9, 2009
    Sicily
    I would like to buy a bass with the best playability, comfortable, strings low action. I'm undecided between two models, Fodera Monarch Victor Wooten Classic 83 Deluxe and Alembic Stanley Clarke Deluxe

Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    You'd think if you were gonna spend that kind of coin you'd know what scale you wanted first.

3. Tube

Tube

Oct 9, 2009
    Sicily
    I don't have the chance to play in person. I have no idea what a short 30 inch (762) mm scale could look like. all my instruments are 34 inch (762) mm scale.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You’re gonna spend thousands of Euros on a bass without playing it?

Ace Of Bass and Obese Chess like this.
  5. Tube

Tube

Oct 9, 2009
    Sicily
    I'm forced

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Are you? That sucks. I have no idea what buying basses is like in Italy. Have you ever played a Fodera or Alembic? They tend to be good but it would be a shame if you’re stuck with a very expensive bass you don’t love.

Coleman, Gearhead17, bdplaid and 7 others like this.
  7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    It took me going through 3 used Alembics before I knew exactly what I wanted in a custom Alembic. I would start by buying a used one, either Fodera or Alembic. Then if it doesn't work out, you should be able to sell it for a similar amount to what you paid for it.

Bones

jazzyvee, bnlwells, P. Aaron and 17 others like this.
  8. Tube

Tube

Oct 9, 2009
    Sicily
    thanks for your advice. yes, I'll take a used Bass. but I would like to have advice

bnlwells likes this.
  9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Say more about the kinds of music you play, what kinds of gigs you do, and what you have liked and disliked in the basses you have.
    As it is, your question is a bit like asking "should I buy a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari?"
    The answer depends in part on how you like to drive, whether you need to drive with family members, take luggage, or mostly drive by yourself and like to drive very fast etc.

10. Have you considered Ritter?

bnlwells, Sixgunn, HolmeBass and 3 others like this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No way in @[email protected] I would spend that key nd of money without playing it first

Ric Vice and Obese Chess like this.
  12. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Ever heard of Mike Lull?

Ric Vice likes this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Fender makes a pretty good bass.

Ric Vice, Mili, dzcandemir and 13 others like this.
  14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Because of the small body, these will sit much further to the left than any bass where the upper horn comes somewhere near the 12th fret. I've owned one and 3 Series with the same shape/size body.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  15. Tube

Tube

Oct 9, 2009
    Sicily
    I have always owned vintage basses, Fender jazz1961/ Precision1958/ Precision1963 and Rickenbacker 4001, I do small and large live concerts of music, classical, jazz / swing and blues.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    armybass likes this.
  16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm scratching my head as to how you settled on these two candidates. Don't get me wrong...they're both excellent choices but fall into two different realms IMO. Given your criteria, neither makes my top 5.

Riis

17. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I own a VW Classic since 2001.
    It’s an extremely versatile great sounding bass that is perfect from top to bottom. It has EMG P/J pickups.
    There plenty of sound samples online. Build quality is top notch and the detail work is beautiful. If you can locate a used version you can save time and a few dollars. I use this bass on many different types of shows and I can quickly dial in my desired sound.
    I’m 5’8” and ergonomically speaking it’s a very comfortable 34” scale. I think it’s safe to say that the current pricing - 8K - keeps this model out of many players hands which is too bad since it’s such a great instrument.
    I have no experience with Alembic Basses so I can’t speak to this.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    jhfishn, BWorm and DeepHz like this.
  18. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have owned 3 Fodera Monarch basses and 12 Alembic basses mostly Series I, Distallette, Elan, Europa, and one Epic fretless 5.

You also have to decide if 17 mm string spacing is good for you (Alembic) or if 19 mm spacing is good (Fodera). Lot to consider.

Personally I probably will not own either in the future. Although I do believe both builders are fantastic, but I am more partial to the Alembic. Nothing Sounds like an Alembic, many things sound like a Fodera.

19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Exactly. If someone is asking that question they haven't thought about what they need and want enough to make an intelligent choice. They are not interchangeable.

Obese Chess likes this.
  20. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Neither manufacturers here...get a US MTD. Mike's basses have action that can basically be on the frets, and have zero buzz. I honestly don't know how he does it. I tried his stuff at NAMM years ago, was completely blown away, and have never played anything better, including Alembic and Fodera.

scubaduba, Hercules and abarson like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021