Fodera vs. Elrick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jul 7, 2002.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    What are your thoughts and opinions? I just read the Fodera vs. Warrior thread...I've owned several Foderas and Elricks...the Elricks have been consistently outrageous, and the Foderas have ranged from killer to ehh....
    What are your thoughts?
    By the way, I have an Elrick on order right now...alder/spalted burl maple, ebony board, small frets, 18v preamp, jazz nut spacing, black Hipshot hardware!
    Which do you prefer....Elrick or Fodera?
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think this could get out of hand. Why not compare fodera and Lakland, or lakland and sadawsky. Elrick vs. Warrior.. high-end basses are high end basses, theres something for everyone.
  3. Pix52

Dec 11, 2001
    I find that the Elrick is instant Karma at half the price, and the Fodera requires work for the tone.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've only played 1 Fodera and 2 Elricks. The Foderas seemed to have a more sophisticated preamp. Still, I'm going to buy an Elrick.

Few basses amaze me. None were able to convince me to switch from 4 strings to 5 (except MTD), let alone 6, which Elrick did!:D

So, at the end of the year, I will be placing an order for one single cut Elrick 6'er.

Can't wait:D
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

that's a hard one. but i'd have to go with Elrick, only cause at similar build methods, tho unique, Elrick's are an incredible deal.

my El has a similar neck thru joint as my dream Matty Garrison Fodera, yet it costs 1/3 of the price. walnut top, with a lighter than air swamp ash body that still draws the biggest grin when i smack that low C.

i've been GAS'in for an El Jazz Standard. at $1900, you get a handcarved neck/body, with custom made bart pickups and electronics.. all for $1900! did i not mention that before? Elrick's are an amazing deal, and its surprising people havent quite caught on yet.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played lots of each. For my money I prefer Elrick of the two. For your money... it's a toss-up;)

There are, of course, several alternatives to both:D
  7. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Quality, near equal.

Looks, vary with model.

Ergonomics, easy win for Elrick.

Sound, Elric by a nose, probably because of the preamp and controls.

Value, Elrick wins again, more for the money.

Resale market, Fodera wins because of name recognition.

It was a toss up for me but the Elrick Platinum Standard Five stole my heart so I bought it.
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i choose the fender kitana over all of them.
  9. I understand what you're saying, but I still enjoy reading all of the different opinions. It never ceases to amaze me how everyone has such different tastes, and differnt perception of what sounds good. So I'll never get bored of reading opinions about "which high end bass is better." Why not make a Fodera vs. Lakland thread, or a Lakland vs. Sadowsky thread like you mentioned? I would read it. (And I would share my own opinion if I ever got a chance to play some of these high end basses. :( )
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well, let's take the following "high-end" brands:

Fodera, Lakland, Ken Smith, Hanewinckel, F Bass, Elrick, R Bass, Roscoe, Curbow, Zon, Modulus, Alembic, Warwick, Sadowsky . . .

I've left plenty off but just go with these for now. That's 14 of them. If we created a thread to compare all pairs of these 1-on-1, that would be

or 13*7 = 91 threads.

Please, god, no.
  11. Hey, I'm not saying that we should do that. All I'm saying is that when someone begins a pole comparing two high high end bass companies, then there's nothing wrong with that, and it's always worth discussing.
  12. Pix52

Dec 11, 2001
    Yeah Hannewinckel!

Recording mine sounds as good as my Fodera and used they are really a bargin.

I'd put my Hannewinckel up against any Roscoe I've owned, no competition.

But the Elrick is too cool, thinking about the tone makes my nipples hard like a little girl.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How about US Rogue vs. Czech Elrick?

JUST KIDDING. The Rogue would obviously smoke it;)

JUST KIDDING AGAIN;). Neither bass exists.
  14. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I think the point is that these basses are very close in many respects and prospective buyers want details before considering expensive purchases. This is a reasonable thread.
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Reasonable, perhaps; but, only within reason:D
  16. I went with the Squier Katana! So there!