Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera vs. Pope Fodera preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by E.Z., Mar 16, 2004.

1. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    Can anyone explain the difference between the Fodera pre 1999 3 way preamp and the Pope post 1999 3 way preamp?

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I think the old one was a Haz Lab.

3. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    Thanks for your input Jared.
    The pre 1999 was made in Japan by Ven corp.
    I wanted to know what where the differences sonically.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well you could always call them and ask. Unfortunately I can't really answer your Q because I don't have much experience with non-pope pre's. My guess would be that the Pope is probably more transparent than their older versions. Just a guess based on current functionality really.

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Actually, the preamp pre 1999 was not made in Japan...it was made by Haz-Lab in NJ.
    Where did you get the info that it was made in Japan by Ven corp?
    I have one of the preamps, and it even says on the circuit board "Haz-Lab".

6. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    I have a Monarch 4 fretless, made in 1997. # band , 9 volt preamp. The information is from the bass itself.
    On the inside of the control plate there is a sticker that says Ven electronics Corp. Japan .There is a sticker on the floor of the cavity that says "hand built by fodera, N.Y.C."
    The pre amp is a Vol., Pan, and 3 band eq. it has a standby switch and aa active passive one.
    What do you make of that? Are Haz lab pre's made in Japan?

7. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    That's very strange. I do know for a fact that their pres were made by Haz Lab in New Jersey, and to my knowledge, they're the only ones who supplied that preamp to Fodera until Mike Pope started making/designing it for them.
    Try calling them (Fodera) and ask them...straight from the horse's mouth!

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I always thought that the earlier Fodera preamp was design by Haz lab in New Jersey also.

9. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    It turns out that VEN is the distributor in Japan.
    The preamp is a HAZ.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Ven Corp is the Distributor in Japan for Fodera and the Old pre is made by Haz Lab.

The difference between the two Pre's is not a substantial sonic difference. The biggest is the added master tone control to the volume pot that Mike Pope added. I think the reason Fodera took the preamp in house was more of a cost factor then really changing the preamp up sonically. I’m sure there were a few tweaks in hopes to better or focus on a freq and not copy the Haz Lab directly. That being said, I've had more guys say they liked the older preamp over the newer Pope preamp, but most seem to like their Fodera's passive with out the preamp's Fodera uses...

Hope that answers a little bit of your question.

Are you in the US, just wondering how you got the Ven Corp distributed Fodera.