Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FODERA vs WARRIOR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Jul 6, 2002.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    We all know that Warrior hasn't been around as long as Fodera but What are you Guys anyoung Ladies view on the Two?

2. Seems like kind of an odd question, coming from someone who's owned both. But heck, since you asked, I'll bite....

Most of the 4-5 Foderas I've played have been exceptionally light, easy to play instruments. I only got the chance to plug one of them in, a buckeye-topped Monarch 5, but it was certainly one of the finest instruments I've laid hands on. OTOH, at least one of the Foderas I played, a bolt-on Emperor, did absolutely nothing for me. I liked the set-neck and neck-through instruments much better--kinda weird, since most of the basses I've owned have been bolt-ons.

I've only played a couple of Warriors, neck-through 5's I think--they seemed nice, but I don't remember being blown away. it was a pretty small sample to go on, though. I like the "Studio" shape quite a bit, and it's one of the few that looks good with really wide 7-8-9 string necks. However, their advertising, particularly the "Current Collector's Value" label they use in place of list price, as if their instruments were collectable artworks rather than basses, is a bit of a turn-off--it just strikes me as rather pretentious. The "anointed" thing, as if their instruments are somehow "anointed by God", doesn't help the impression of being pretentious, either.

My $.02
    Mike

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    mike the reason I asked was because I was simply curious, from my perspective there is no better one.you can get great craftsmanship out of both but in comparison and fact the Fodera has been around for a while and Warrior having been around less than a decade seem to be doing pretty good for a co.that's so young.so before someone wants to beat me up I like both and play both .I dont care who the company is you are not going to like every Bass that particular co.puts out.MTD,Alembic,Sadowsky,etc I have a 92 SR5 that I bought new in 92 and I refer to it as my utlitie bass.and when its all said and done we all end up going back to Bassics anyway grabbing that good ole trusty 4 wether it be that P Bas,
    J bass,MM,G&L,etc.and in most instances they're a lot cheaper than any sold call High end BASS.

4. Not meaning to beat you up at all! It just made me curious. Warrior is a relatively young company, true, but it always surprises me to remember that most of the high-end bass companies currently in business (including Fodera) aren't even 20 years old. There are plenty of other small builders out there, like Elrick, producing basses that I'd put in the same class as the Warriors I've played. However, they haven't done the media blitz that Warrior has, or sought out the high-profile endorsers.

Mike

5. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Strange, I've loved the sound of every Fodera I've ever picked up and did not like the sound of any Warrior I've ever picked up.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There are plenty of builders that play in the same league, although most are not as flashy as Warrior.
    Germany alone has more than a dozen world-class highend bass builders/companies.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    My man Jones! :D ;)

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    points well taken.as far as seeking out high profile players thats not a bad thing to do but its not at all no different from any other co. having the sincere assistance of a high profile player wouldn't hurt any co.now would it?it just comes with the territory,you can look on any bass companies site and find an artist list.(why does the list exsist?)I have had high profile players ask me about Warrior,Fodera,etc. and I have seen first hand the reaction high profile players liking or not liking Warrior Bassess and I know more than a few who because of contract ties with other companies for what ever reason want to play and own a Warrior and even Fodera but cant. as far as companies outside of the US I agree there are some very talented luthiers,Me and Jens Ritter(Germany) have worked together as well as Chris Celinder(Denmark).this is not at all a better bass issue, simply a comment on how far a co.may have come in what could be considered a short time.and wether thats a bad thing or not we can at least all agree advertising can put extra food on the table :):)

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i can honestly say i liked the foderas i played but i wasn't 6000 dollars impressed. the warriors were slammin basses and not too bad off a price point. if i were gonna buy another high end bass it would be a toss up between a roscoe, a ken smith and a warrior.

10. I think they are both overpriced. I have played Foderas that I really thought were outstanding, but not at a $3000 premium to other true high end luthiers.

The Warriors I played sounded good and the workmanship was great, but again, not for such a premium price. I also didn't like their pricing structure - getting a spalted top put the bass in a different class, cost over $1500 more! For just a Spalted top!

I think they are good deasl on the used market.

Of course, it's all in your point of view. If they float your boat, that's a good thing!

Jeff

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think it's hilarious how Warrior puts a "collectible value" on all their basses - all really high - and yet they're a "good value used."

personally - i think warriors kinda suck. the ones i've played reminded me of peavey cirruses, yet with 2x the pricetag.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    its weird. it all goes back to the "nobody calls my baby ugly but me " syndrome. people are so quick to defend their purchases because we all work so hard for our money. hell i love my carvin 6 fretless. i love my peavey cabs. i love my little cheap danelectro stomp boxes.some people will throw those into the "blows" catergory. it's all about the funk. nobody is gonna like every bass a luthier makes. i loved my warwick i had but loathe just about any others i have played. but lets just be honest.... 4000- 6000 is just way too damn much for a bass. just like i feel 50000-100000 is way too much for a car.both cars get you there but more people look at you in the higher priced one. which really kinda says something about our society. i dont think any of that made any sense. oh well.

13. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Stingrayguy, I think you have nailed it. Who would have thought that the Jones' had caught up with the bass player community. It's a shame that we feel like we need to "impress" other members of the bass world with expensive instruments. It is all about the FUNK! God, there are never any threads about music. Questions, comments about an album, anything. Just "gear this" and "gear that". I guess if that makes you happy.

14. Well, you did ask what our impressions were. Take 'em for what they're worth. :) My impression is that Warrior has come as far as they have in such a short time because they're very good at marketing themselves, and at putting out very flashy, ornate basses that get a lot of attention at trade shows. I certainly wouldn't say that they don't build great basses--I haven't played enough of them to know, though I doubt Chuck Rainey would play anything that wasn't! I just personally find the pretentious attitude that comes off in their self-promotion rather a turn-off, and a big contrast to the other small builders I've talked to. The guys at Fodera may be arrogant about their work as well--heck, you have to be arrogant to charge what they charge :)--but somehow the Warrior approach strikes me as especially annoying, particularly with the religious overtones implying that selling $6000 basses is somehow witnessing for Christianity, etc. It makes faith sound more like an advertising gimmick than anything else, no matter how sincere they may be.

Mike

15. You've got a point there. On the other hand, this is the "Basses" forum--there are other forums at TB devoted to technique, music theory, other players, etc.

Mike

16. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Word. Just venting!!

I never liked the Warrior basses. I played on about 10 of them at a guitar show once. They kept talking about how "hand made" they are and stuff. My wife even said they all look like production line made. She asked them how many people work in there factory. Expecting the answer to be one or two like Fodera or Bebensee instruments. The guy told us 15. "Sounds like many hands make them." She told him. Oddly he walked off and started talking the same shiznit to other people there. Good thing too. He kept doing the salesman bit. Like saying, "Ooo...listen to that note". "Oh yeah, that's the sound." That totally turned me and my checkbook off to that company. Even if I did find one I liked, I would never buy it because of that guy.

The people at Fodera Guitars have always been ultra nice to me. I've called them with different questions and have spoken with Joey and David several time. Always super nice and never pushed anything. It has always been a pleasent experiance to call up there. If they would come down on there prices some,(that will never happen) I'd buy one.

17. Yeah, me too, I suppose...

Mike

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    again points well noted.I myself am not tied to any Religion I simply exsist thru Respecting others.and to say 15 people work at Warrior it is only maybe three to 4 that actually help with the construction of their Basses.I personally could care less about who makes a better instrument because I dont and wouldn't pay $3,000.00 for a bass I never have and dont plan on starting anytime soon.to be honest the question is WHY DOES A PARTICULAR BASS COST SO MUCH?lets be realistic when you pay those high prices for those basses its usaully 80-100 times what it cost for parts and i9n some cases the pickups cost less than five dollars to make.I respect the work of a talented luthier but we have to draw the line somewhere.it comes down to a form of subliminal exstortion.there are guys here at TB.com that make a Bass that sound,(and it all boils down to opinion) better than some of their high end cousins that have been around a lot longer.excluding that they to some degree have to prove themselfs to some.but for me if I like it then I go with it.I choose to play Warrior,Fodera,or whoever the co. may be only because I want to.and I personally agree if a man or woman wether it be an attempt to sell me a bass,suit,or pair of shoes,I to will be turned off and yes out the door I will go,simply because I have the choice.
    p.s.
    think about why some companies decide to make less expensive models.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Some companies offer lower priced models because they're more affordable. They make more expensive models because there's a demand for them too.

I couldn't disagee more with the idea that we need to draw the line somewhere. Why? The only lines I can think need to be drawn are personal ones.

As far as high prices go, instead of saying what's more than "you"* (the bass player) would spend, there seems to be a judgement as to what anyone should spend and even worse some long distance psychoanalysis as to why someone spent it. Let's say you're comfortable enough financially to be able to afford a new Fodera, does that mean the rest of us know why you're buying it? Obviously you're just showing off, right? Couldn't possibly be the best thing you've ever laid hands on, right? You'd think sooner or later this stuff would die down, stuff like too expensive or too many strings, maybe the problem is you can't afford it or couldn't play an extended range instrument. Why hate on someone because they can?

There's a very simple phrase that comes to mind: "Live and let live". There's no reason to hate on someone because they bought something you thought was too expensive... no one is forcing you to keep up. Then again maybe that's the problem, the price of keeping up is too high and complaining is a much cheaper alternative:)

I guess I just have a different concept of "over-priced". To me it's the price at which no one will purchase it. I've seen basses that are overpriced but usually they are used, like some high end basses that languish on the market for months. Heck, you could over price a Dano if you wanted to. OTOH there's a waiting list a mile long for Sadowskys, Foderas, MTDs, etc. so I doubt overpriced is very accurate...

just more than "you" want to pay. Two entirely different things;)

BTW why don't we talk about other things here? We do... and they get moved to the proper forum by a moderator:D

*by "you" I mean you in general, not a specific person.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I feel you Brad, Im sure some of us here at TB can afford a Lamborgini but choose not to buy a car at all.