Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera VW Classic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I had the opportunity to play a Fodera Vic Wooten Classic yesterday and this bass was amazing. The thing seemed to play itself and the tone was incredible. The price on these things is really scary but it really felt like a superior instrument. Anybody have one and has it been worth the big bucks? Thanks!

2. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    oh im jealous of you now lol. Id kill to play one of those......I spose it would be worth the money. Im not sure though.

Im just jealous :)

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I have played one and have owned several Fodera's. The bass I own now is a stunning piece all around. Looks, tone playability. Never seen or heard better personally.

I find their five strings to be a lot more impressive than that their fours however.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes and YES!

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've played one, and it was crack. BTW, I'm more partial to the sound of their (Fodera) 4's. They sound better than the 5's, IMO.

6. I had one (and have played many) and thought it was a great bass. IMO, Fodera's 4 string basses are consistently excellent. I have seen more inconsistency in the 5 and 6 string models.

I also think they are a better value when purchased used.

Jeff

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking to join the Fodera club near the end of 05. :D

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I own a 4 string VW Classic Fodera neck through..
    I purchased it used/new from a guy in Milwaulkee 7/03...

On a scale of 1 - 10 ( 10 being the best) for craftmanship
    I give it an 11..

The sound is very modern and its very versatile.
    Its also very comfortable to play and it looks great.

I was very lucky to get mine ..
    I have seen them in the 3K range new..
    they do not give the old school P / J tones so you might want to check it out before purchasing...but I love mine....

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I think new they are going for around $4600. How about the new bolt on VW, anybody know about these?