Fodera... walnut vs swamp ash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheTurtle, Jan 11, 2004.

1. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm going to order my Imperial 5 this month but I'm very undecided about the wood for the body between walnut and swamp ash (they are very different woods...).

Could you tell me your experience with this woods, in particular on Fodera basses?
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well if you choose ash there is a really killer Garrison at The Groove Shoppe right now. Doubt you could do much better sound and looks wise and no wait! ;)

What kind of sound are you looking for?
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    lemme guess. youre selling another bass:D
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    swamp ash, because it is usually lighter and i prefer the attack and tone to walnut. there is always an airier, alive, quality to ash and a condensed low mids to walnut IMO.
  5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yup. Quite a deal.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Oy vay, not another one! And you were convinced this one was the best sounding bass ever! Maybe it's time to switch from Foderas to Rogues ;)
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, what sort of sound are you looking for? they're very different woods, so it makes little sense why you're considering both, unless you really understand what you want first.
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a feeling that Jared is going for the Beez Elite that the groove shop got in recently. That thing is just sick!

I have to say that every bass with a walnut body that I've played has been incredible. Someone should ask David Beasley about the difference in woods and than post it. Jared?.........
  9. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    Well... I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but I need a versatile wood with warm tone and well balanced. I'm not a great slap player, I usually play fingered, but I use slap sometimes and I know that walnut is not a good wood for slapping.
  10. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Mahogany core? from what you posted above sounds like that might work for you. Swamp ash is good, but it doesn't seem to fit your description.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    For what you described I'd do Mahogany before either Swamp Ash or Walnut.

For slap and aggresive fingerstyle Ash is my personal favorite. I have one Walnut bass, it's nice but it would no longer be a first choice for me body wood-wise. Mahogany can give both a great fingerstyle and slap sound IME.

Good luck.
  12. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I second this. My main six string has a mahogany body with a pau ferro fingerboard, and it sounds great with both styles.
  13. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :mad:

now you guys have me gassing for my planned Jaf custom.

quilt on mahogany w/purpleheart accent line

I hate being poor!:bawl:
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah...I'm getting the Beez. That's the *only* reason I let the Garrison go, and it was a very tough decision. Best bass I have had yet, so I hope the Beez delivers. :p
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

builders do different things with different woods to pull the different sounds they want for the bass.

i.e. i wanted a really smooth fat, dark, almost upright like tone for my fretless Fodera Imperial that i'm ordering from Dave, and he suggested Walnut over Mahogany and Alder. said, its the darkest smoothest wood he knows of.

btw, just as an aside, you can keep in mind that the neck wood, not just the *fingerboard* wood can make a difference in tone, too.

e.g. the ubiquitious maple neck is more neutral sounding, allowing the fingerboard wood to be more prominent, but a swamp ash neck can impart a really cool aggressive midrange. ask the Fodera guys if they do any other woods for the neck.