Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fodera, worth it, or no?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Jul 24, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ok, after seeing lots of theese basses, i have to ask, aree they worth it? are they THAT much better? what about the extended headstock for the b string, gimmick, or actually work? if so , these things must be GREAT. but ive no chance to touch one yet. thanks

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes, depends on what you like, but they are worth it.
    Maybe not that much, because the price is actually sky high on some Fodera´s.
    But the playability is really amazing, and the tone (depends on the woods) is really ear-pleasing.

3. i played an anthony jackson 6 sig once and it played like butter. the sound wasn't what i would call modern, or great for punk, rock, etc, but it had a very usable, solid tone.

4. Yes!! I have played all the models except for the AJ contrabass. My favorite is the Imperial Deluxe(older design). But its really a personal thing. As far as the low 'B' extension, it depends on the kind of feel and tone you are going after. I like both on the Fodera 'B' but some peeps may find it abit much or too floppy. Try them out, see what works. I think they are one of the best basses made today.
    These guys are real knowledgeable, helpful and usually stock them, chem 'em out.
    http://www.electriccitymusic.com/

5. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I think they're worth itin terms of wood choice, craftsmanship, playability, feel, etc. etc.. I've gone through a lot of high-end bass trading in the past couple years, but the Monarch Deluxe 5 I picked up a couple weeks ago isn't going anywhere.

I think that, when you reach a certain price range and depending on what you're looking for, the extra dollars don't necessarily buy a "better" tone, but may add value in other areas. My Fodera is the best-sounding, easiest-playing bass I own, and the level of craftsmanship is truly the best I've ever seen.

I'm not a barrel-O-chops by any means, but playing this bass is effortless, and the Pope preamp is truly amazing.

They certainly aren't everyone's cup of tea, and wouldn't be even if they were cheaper (I can't think of a single bass that's right for everyone), but if you seek the Fodera tone and want a gorgeous bass that practically plays itself, my experience has been that it was worth every penny...

6. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I ordered my Fodera Emperor Elite 5..Alder body,
    Flamed Maple top, Duncan single coil p/u's back
    in 99'. It took nine months to delivery. I really
    wish now that I would have purchased used. Don't
    get me wrong. I love my Fodera!! But there are
    some great values on the used market now..and
    two years ago. But, hey they let me pay payments while I was waiting. Can't beat that. It is the
    best playing, sounding and looking bass I have ever
    touched. And I have had my share..Tobias, Lakland,
    Roscoe, Modulus. I have owned them all. I own a MTD 535 now. Its the backup to the Fodera. A great bass... but still the backup (its a keeper too).
    As Lowranger said ...its worth every penny. Next
    purchase? A used Fodera 5 with a Chestnut top or
    an Elrick 5.
    Dan

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sure, they're worth it...and there are other choices, too.

8. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I have really never understood the super high prices of foderas. There are MANY other exotic basses with the same quality materials and attention to detail for thousands less. I guess they are just taking advantage of the fact that some of the best and most famous players in the world play them.
    Im not saying they are not nice basses because the obviously are, but they are way overpriced IMHO. Im sorry, I cant see what is so special about an imperial that is worth 6 grand!
    And I kind of find it ironic that Vics Ying Yang bass is over 7 grand! Hmm, lets see its got vics name on it!
    But if you got lots of money to burn I'm sure its worth it.

9. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I bought used and couldn't be happier.

A bass is only worth what you are willing to pay. A Reverend 5 (own one and love it, too) is priceless if it's THE bass that lets you do what you want to do.

Just because a bass is a "good" bass doesn't mean it's "good" for YOU, and just because a bass is a "bad" bass doesn't mean it's bad for YOU.

Affordability is in the eye of the buyer.

The fact that people are willing to pay the price for boutique basses, and keep these manufacturers in business, must mean that they're worth it to someone, if not for you (at least at this point in time).

It's all relative!

10. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
  11. well, for what it's worth, I've been playing Foderas for almost 14 years. I've owned or played basses from most major companies and I love my Anthony Jackson Contrabasses (one fretted and one fretless). but this is like most everything else: an opinion. I love them because they work with my style and they give me the tones I want. and while they're my main axes, I do have gear from other companies for backups and for specific situations (Yamaha, MTD, Carvin, Fender, Merchant, Peavey, and the most gorgeous Conklin on the way). choose your instruments because they work for you.

their craftsmanship ad woodworking skills are amazing, but the same can be said for a lot of companies. their prices are steep, but that also applies to many of the better luthiers out there. the sound of a Fodera is incredible, but I can hardly say that their instruments have the only great tones out there. you can hear them used on Anthony Jackson, Matthew Garrison, Marcus Miller (fretless), Tommy Shannon, and Tom Kennedy recordings. at the very least that should give you some idea of their range and versatility.

in the end I'd say try a couple if you can and compare them against other instruments you're considering. personally, I couldn't be happier with my choice. but, after more than a decade, I'm considering changing main basses. I'm never giving up my Foderas, but I've found someone to build the instruments I've always wanted. so you never know: even the instruments you choose for years may end up taking second place.

just try and keep your mind open and always hold in your head your ideal tones. it can be easy to get swept away by playing a new instrument for the first time, but be sure it's what you want. when I was 18 or 19 I played an Alembic Persuader and thought it was the most beautiful (koa body with a maple neck) and incredible sounding thing, but I hadn't considered that my technique came out of playing a Fender Jazz for years. while that Alembic sounded wonderful -- sometimes I still regret selling it -- I couldn't adapt all of my chops for the Rickenbacker-like string spacing. it wound up actually hurting to play. I hated to get rid of it but I was so happy years later when I found the instruments that gave me the sound I want and let me use all of my ability.

follow your heart and your ears. let the choice be yours. others opinions are a guide, but you're the one who gets to live with the decision. you're going to play the bass. good luck,

Stew

12. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I just went through this and yes, there is nothing better than a Fodera.

There are however, basses that are just as good as a Fodera.

The ones I researched were R, MTD and Elrick with Sukop being a close second. All these show the same quality and service as Fodera. The only place they may fall short is resale value, which of course has nothing to do with how it sounds. You might loose a few bucks on any of these except the Fodera which will be worth as much or more than you paid for it.

After evaluating all these concerns, I chose a "top of the line" Elrick.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    IMO, NO bass is worth 5k +! C'mon, five grand for a bass?!:eek: JMHO, I wouldn't spend over 2500.00 for a bass. That's just crazy. I totally understand what kind of sweat and time goes into a custom piece, I'm just saying how I feel about paying 5 to 10 thousand bucks for a bass. If Mike Tobias can build a great instrument for about $2500, why can't the other luthiers? Mike doesn't have a huge factory either.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    As for the "Extended B" headstock, I'm sure it has some effect, but their comments on it I've seen have been misleading. It does NOT have the same effect as increasing the scale length. The tension on a B, with or without "Extended B headstock", for a given string guage, will be exactly the same.

Here's what I think it DOES do: makes the string more flexible. If you think about it, for the string to vibrate it has to stretch. Any string past the nut or bridge saddle, if the slot is smooth so the string can slide, is a "reserve" which can stretch and provide that extra amout to the portion that is vibrating. Just imagine if the string went on for 100 feet past the nut. The tension at rest would be the same, but if you pulled on the string you'd be able to bend it much further. So, my take is that their extended headstock lets you use a thicker string, for a more solid tone, while keeping the same flexibility (to a degree).

My guess is that it is probably pretty subtle, but there. I just wish they would take the time to understand their own devices. This also applies to the Warrior "G-Factor" -- they print 37" next to the phrase, like it has anything to do with a 37" scale length.

15. Fodera doesnt have a huge factory either.They have a workshop in Brooklyn NY,where Vinnie and Joey hand build some of the finest ,if not the finest basses being made today.Fodera quite simply are the Stradivarius of the electric bass.When you own a Fodera,you are part of a family that has many of the worlds finest bass players in it.Take a look at the fodera artist page.that pretty much says it all right there.These cats can play anything they want ,and they choose Fodera.Ironically,many of todays bass builders are copying Fodera's designs.humm-i wonder why?

p e a c e

16. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey Bo...I agree!!! Here's One of my Fodera's. Not a great pic though. I bought a used Emperor 5 with
    a Chestnut top a few weeks ago. Don't have pix yet.
    Dan

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If they make what's right for you, then yes, it's worth it. But wha'ts right isn't the same for everyone.

18. there's no such thing as a bad pic of a fodera imo.

19. Awesome bass Dan.I have an emperor 4 deluxe with a burl chestnut top and lane poor pickups/with pope pre-amp.i need to get a pic of it so i can post it.
    p e a c e

20. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    And here's mine!

Mine has the extended B headstock option, and now that I've lived with the bass for a while I have to say the B is every bit as tight, clean, and punchy...if not more so... than the B on my Dingwall. I've not had a chance to play a non-extended headstock version, so there may be very little difference indeed, but it sure doesn't detract from the sound or feel!