Fodera + ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soundsupport1, Nov 5, 2021.

1. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    This is for a niche group, but it just struck me. Watched the product video for Fodera's 2021 model range on youtube. Player sitting on a sofa with a wall of amps behind him:
    Genzler
    Trickfish
    Markbass
    Aguilar
    Vanderkley

And I noticed a couple of things missing, and it got me wondering: everyone with a Fodera seems to play it through hifi amps.

Does anyone play a Fodera through an Ampeg SVT/V4/Portaflex?
    Does anyone play a Fodera through a Fender Bassman 300?

And what would that sound like? Modern jazzy hifi bass through old-school rock all-tube head? Might be rather good...

Peace,
    SoundSupport

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Victor Wooten played through Ampeg SVT-4's and Hartke. Not quite what you're looking for but not exactly hi-fi either.

soundsupport1 likes this.
  3. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Doesn't really matter. A Fodera will sound like your bass, or any bass for the most part, because, really, it's mostly your fingers, setup, and eq'ing that matter. Foderas are simply built well, with good materials, and hand-built by a small U.S. crew...and there's your $ amount. I think it'd be kickass to pair an Emperor with a B15 or SVT!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Element Zero and soundsupport1 like this.
  4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I play mine exclusively through a Fender Rumble. In this case a Rumble 800HD and Rumble 210 cabinet. Or Rumble 500 combo and extension cab.
    9C135E36-DC50-40C7-8D80-A62A2B47F161.jpeg
    7A68323F-E2CB-49C1-B697-95CEF20ECC8A.jpeg

5. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Does that make it sound any darker? Just curious. Every Fodera demo I've ever seen, they sound super bright, but looking at the specs I've often wondered if that's the coloration of the amplifier rather than the bass itself.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I found the Rumble pretty transparent. Allot has to do with the pickups. Fodera’s with active PJ pickups are very bright and modern sounding. The split coil pickups like in my emperor are more versatile. I can get a killer 70’s Jazz tone to a nice warm tone good for blues and swing.

7. Fodera and Ampeg

soundsupport1 and Blunder like this.
  8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I play mine through my Mesa WD800 most of the time. But I’ve also played it through an Acoustic B200 combo, an old Fender Rumble 100 combo dozens of times and play it through my even older Fender RAD bass combo nearly everyday. Sounds like a bass.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022