Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shandon, Apr 23, 2003.

1. I know Victor Wooten plays w/ them and that's probably enough incentive to get one but what's the deal w/ them, I'm lost, the web site isn't too informative. Are they handcrafted? Put a hurting on your wallet compared to others? Any input would be great, thanx everyone!!!

2. Amazing Handcrafted basses made in Brooklyn, NY (My hometown). Extremely expensive, like extremely extremely, but if you have the money they are THE thing. Im sure Jared Morante and other Fodera owners will weigh in soon, as will people who say they aren't worth the money. In my oppinion, they are both amazing players (simply one of the best) and pieces of art work. As for tone, all I gotta say is Anthony Jackson and Victor Wooten. Damn.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Long waiting period if you order one from scratch... 8 months? You can sometimes find new ones in stock at certain dealers, and they pop up used from time to time.

4. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea they're basically amazing custom made basses. Takes a long time to build but, the wait is worth it. You can get pretty much anything put on a custom Fodera and they all have top of the line materials. They incorparate amazing examples of wood at the higest grades. From what I gathered here, people consider them THE bass guitar. The only thing really bad about Fodera is the price. The cheapest Fodera I have seen in a store was a little over $4,000. IMO, they're a little over priced, but then again, many companies are overpriced.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played 6 or 7 different ones and can attest that they're extremely well made and have tones to spare. However, I think there are other basses that do as much for less money.

Just IMO, of course.;)

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I wouldn't refuse a Matt Garrison model!

7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY

Yea I forgot to mention that. IMO, you can find other basses that are similar to a Fodera, but much cheaper. It might not be as well built though.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Might not be. But, might be.

Fodera's got a cult following. So do some other luthiers. I'm admittedly not in the Fodera cult.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I've had a few and still have a Vic Wooten Classic which is an unbelieveable piece!!. I spent 5k at one point to get one of their 5 strings. It was very heavy and I didn't keep it long. It was wonderfully built and sounded great. You can go to www.fodera.com and check out their site

Rob

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes, here I am as predicted.

Fodera's are great basses. I currently own three but it looks like I will be selling at least 1 or 2. I am having one built currently however and getting a Benavente in a few weeks...

Anyway, Fodera's have fantastic playability, easily the best out there that I have played. There are others that are probably "as good" when it comes to playability but I don't see how it could be any better. It's literally effortless. Something like a Nordstrand however is right there with it.

As far as sound goes, it depends on what you want. They will build to your specifications, so you can get pretty much what you want. I've heard one Fodera I thought was crap and that was Vic Wooten's black bolt on with the LED's. The LED's were really cool looking but man did that bass sound like trash, I seriously could not believe my ears (maybe it was just a bad night?). So they won't all be gems. The rest I have seen and heard however have sounded great.

I think the main thing they draw a lot of flak for is the price. They are generally in the range of 2-3 times more expensive than similar basses. Is it worth it to you? Maybe. Are they twice the bass of something like an F bass or Nordstrand? No way. To me, for what I own, it is worth it. While I would totally buy a Nordstrand or a Benavente (which I did) I think Fodera will probably get my business for a long time to come, but that is just my personal preference.

Bottom line is they are great basses, may or may not be for you, and way more expensive than their comparable competition.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I played an AJ 6 that a buddy of mine had for a while, and I can see why people shell out all that bread for those basses. The sound was so clear, and it was so easy to play. I loved playing it. That being said, I couldn't see myself ever spending that kind of money on a bass that I can get similar sound, looks, and playability at half the price. There are many new young up and coming builders that are making superb basses. Take Norstrand and Benevente as Jared mentioned. Here are two new builders that already are having the reputation of building basses to the quality of Fodera's, and if I'm not mistaken at a half to a third of the price. So if money is the concern, I would look to a different, but similar builder. If money isn't the issue, go for the gusto and have a Fodera built, because they're damn impressive!

Hey Jared,
    Since you have Fodera's, and you've played Nordstand basses, how would you compare the two. Does it have a similar vibe to the Fodera, or does it have it's own personality?

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey Halftooth
    As far as the vibe of the Nordstrand goes I honestly can't give a good evaluation. I had one plugged in for maybe 2-3 minutes max? I played them far more unplugged than plugged in and it was also a rather small amp in Carey's garage. I probably would not say it is that similar though if I remember correctly but this is of course not a bad thing. Each maker will have their own vibe really...

Carey's basses are easily as playable as my Fodera's the only thing I would do differently if (when is probably more like it) I had one built for me was the string spacing...I prefer 3/4 spacing at the bridge and his was pretty tight. That being said it was easily right there. Now this is only my *personal* opinion but I think his basses play better than F basses, MTD's and Roscoe's to name a few and I've tried or owned several of those basses...I hope I don't get any flak for that. :D

13. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I've ordered an Imperial 5 string;it will arrive next december.It takes 8 months to have one;of course they are handbuilted!
    They are the best basses available on the market nowadays in my opinion;Hi-end Smiths are very very sweet too,but I prefere Foderas because they have fenderish tones also,that Smiths don't.

The real deal with Foderas is their AMAZING playability;they are so easy and fast to play!!!

You have to be carefull about one aspect:since they are quite custom instruments,I've never found a Fodera that sounded the same to another one.Since the options they offer are so many,
    you can get exactly the kind of tones you have in your mind,but,on the other hand, you have to be very sure about what you want and,eventually,how to get it done on your bass.The best thing would to find "the one" that you get in love with,and then make them built one identical for you.....at least this is how I did.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've played several Foderas. One thing that I've noticed about them is, the 5's left a little to be desired, while the 4's made me consider selling a kidney to buy it. The 5 strings just sounded uneven to me. Someone mentioned that they can't all be gems, well @ $4500 a pop, they damn well better be! I don't dislike them, but I'd take an MTD or Sadowsky over them any day. They're just not for me.

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey Woodchuck-
    Where are you getting Fodera's for 4500? I'd love to know your source ;)

What is it about the 5 strings you think are uneven? I'm just curious because there is no *way* I would personally take an MTD over a Fodera and I've played a few MTD's...not even close IMO. But again that's just me, I'm really curious what you think was uneven or lackluster about a Fodera 5 since that is basically what I think their best basses are (the 4's don't seem any better than a bass 1/5 it's cost from what I've played).

16. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    AMEN!!!
    To me,
    the only basses that could equal Fodera's quality are Ken Smith,and Alembics(but they are beasts on their own)

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest (can I say pissing?), this was just my personal opinion. I didn't mean it in a way that was meant to put down MTD or anything. :) I'm sure there are those who think MTD's are better than Fodera's and that's obviously cool.

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LOL!!

Wurd!!!!!!

Gonna be a rumble 'tween da "Conks" and the "Fods"

Da "Sads and da "Smits" gon' be up in dis b**** too!!!

The (F)bbs.... s***! We won't even waste our time on those guys!!!

;)

19. In general, I prefer my MTD over my Fodera. But I don't dislike either of them. The Fodera has some tones that the MTD could never get, and vice versa. But overall, I feel more connected to my 535.

Here are both, surrounding ye olde 66:

[​IMG]

20. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Jared,
    Just a quick correction. My basses all have 3/4" string spacing at the bridge. The nut is narrower than your Fodera, I think, so that may have been what you felt.
    Thanks
    Carey