Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera's bass of the week

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Apr 14, 2003.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Well, I really don't know how to feel about it...this is weird!!!

On this monarch, fodera "inlayed" a piece of buckeye and put a clear pickguard over it :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

:confused:

Peace, JP

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    not pretty ..but I would play with it.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I do not like it. Looks to me like a confusion of styles.

Don't like it. Wouldn't play it.

Well, I think this illustrates the point that the great luthiers do not always produce great instruments. It is probably structurally very nice sounding and playing but I think aesthetically it is a stinker.,

Just my opinion, not trying to start a war...

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    if I saw it I would play it.....but I wouldn't buy it. I play all basses I see, and it probably sounds sweet, but that pickguard shaped inlay is oooogly. I jus think most pickguards are ugly anyway, except on like P basses and Jazzes.

an interesting idea though.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I like it a lot. It gives a feeling of depth.

6. aesthetically speaking, i prefer basses that have more than half a neck........

7. i don't like it. Perhaps if the body was buckeye and the "pickguard" was something else, like light maple or spruce...

Jeff

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It looks to me to be like 10-15 years old. And I don't mean that in a good way. ;)

I mean it's not ugly. It just doesn't seem very well integrated.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I dig it...

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

So lets see...Fodera did what the customer wanted. I guess we can fault them for that and nothing else. I don't think its a stunner or anything myself but I wonder why all the bashing...I personally think it's cool they are willing to do different stuff like this according to the customers wishes.

11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hey Jared...I don't see any bashing here !!

Only opinions....

JP

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, obviously they're not ashamed of it or anything, as it's their "Bass of the Week"! ;)

Like JP said, I wouldn't call this bashing.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Much like Daniel and Jeff, I like the idea of it but if it were me I'd choose a different wood for the guard thing. Then again, it's not me.

I like the wood pickguard on the Conklin Rocco Prestia better.

[​IMG]

brad cook

14. i like the idea and the woods, but i think the pickguard is a weird shape, it seems to run off the bass and it looks weird.

15. If I had the money, I'd probably buy it...it looks kinda funky and cool to me!

:bag:

P.S. What do those little switches do?

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Its not the prettiest thing in my eyes.. but I would play it if it were handed to me for sure ;)

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, that's one of the only Foderas I've ever seen that I liked. Meaning, I actually would play it voluntarily, and might even go seeking it out if it was dirt cheap ($700>). I like it a lot.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What a shame that someone threw up on that perfectly good bass.

19. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    bingo.

if the shape complimented the overall bosy shape, I think it would be so much better.

that conklin has a good shaped pickguard for instance.

20. anyone else find the heel on this thing strange? that's a lot of wood that doesn't need to be there. it looks like it would just get in the way and make the higher frets harder to play then they need to be......