Foderas...Fatbeams...Lo Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, May 26, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Well, i wont be posting anymore threads regarding what strings to purchase. These Lo Riders are just what I was looking for. The final test was today, when i got to hear them in a mix. Wow! Perfect. Now my Yammy's eq is flat, the Ashdown ABM is set flat and it sounds so nice, so nice. - which has the added benefit of giving me more headroom.

Basically all i do to change the tone is roll the pickup selector ever so slightly and change the tube preamp blend.

Tonal Panacea.
  2. Hi,
    Have you compared the FATBEAMS how they compare to the Hi-Beams or Lo rider.
    They cost more, but does sound get better, how about their eqing? (i also use an abm head)
  3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Congrats Black Beans....I don't know what I was thinking but I switched to D'Addarrio Nickel strings last month and I am not digging them. I will be going back to my beloved DR Lo Riders.
  4. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    You know theres some older post that does a much better job than I am going to re: dr comparisons vis-a-vis sound.

Heres my following crap explanation
    Fat beams-
    Thick, Very middy, muddy, smoother
    More flexible
    They seem to lack the 'snap' with fingerstyle, but, when you pop them, they sound pretty good - though duller than the lo riders

Lo riders-
    I love the piano type of clarity and theyre so much easier to manipulate than the foderas.

Theyre scooped somewhat at the middle high ed range they still feel smooth but they are less flexible.
    I should run some figures on this, but you have to understand that a hexagon cross-section is going to behave much differently than a round core (fat beams) when stressed to bend.

The sound is more articulated and much less muddy. The lows are fantastic. Yet, the highs are definately there. You cannot use adjectives such as articulate and piano like without having highs, can you? Theyre nice and not harsh since the mid-high frequencies seem to be diminished.

Army bass-
    Im not getting any more strings. thats it. GAS over. Thanks for the good tip.
  5. Good to hear you found your string :) I think your comparison is right on!

Armybass, how does the nickel Lo-Riders sound compared to the D'addario's? (guess it was XL's?)
  6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Carl, the sound wasn't the issue I had with the D'Addarrio XL's. I think I have just grown use to the feel and tension of the DR's. But I did find the DR's to have more of a full bottom and warmth to them where the XL's sounded great but maybe not as well rounded. I dont think there is anything wrong with the D'Addarrio's, I am just used to the DR's I think.
  7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Did I say "I think" enough in that post? :rolleyes:
  8. Yes, thanks for all the infos, and silly me I found the threads.
  9. Thanks Frijoles one of the best descriptions on Fatbeams...

Lowriders 4-ever!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: