1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fodera's Nickel Strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 22, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

was wondering if Fodera made a Nickelwound string for 5 strings?

anyone try 'em?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    bump!

how do Fodera's nickels compare IYE to Labella Slappers or DR Sunbeams?

3. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Yup they make 'em

Fodera 5-string sets

Click "buy" and there's will be a place you can choose "Steel" or "Nickle". Also, they can make you any guages you want in any style they offer. I'm using a 4-string set of Anthony Jackson exposed core strings in Jamerson guages. They feel great, smooth and the compresion winding (round windings run through a roller, flattening them out a bit) gives they a slick feel. The lady at the factory said they had never made a set with those specs, EVER. They arived in about a week.

My set is steel, so I can't really coment of the nickle sets, but I imagine they're similar. As for longevity, they still sound the same as when I put them on months ago (well the same as they did after they settled in). I think squishing the windings helps keep dirt out from between them. I'm guessing it pushes the windings closer together.

I havn't tried the other strings you mentioned, so I can't comment there, but again, yes they (Fodera) do make nickle strings. Oh yeah, I really like my set, and it doesn't really sound like any other set I've tried, it's its own thing. Balanced sounding and a bit refined but not bitingly bright like some other brands.

Hope this helps a bit.

~Paul :)