Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayha, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Bayha

May 2, 2005
    Whats up guys, I'm looking for info on foderas. I may be looking into picking one up. I'd like to know were I can play one, how much they cost :crying: . Anything you can tell me about them would be snazzy. Thanks, Bayha.
  2. They're expensive. Where are you located? They're incredible instruments.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI is a great place to start

Then try or the groove shop in NYC

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    If you have to ask you can't afford one. :(

It's sad but most likely true :crying:
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    How did you find out about them? Why do you think you might want one?
  6. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Approx. 1 arm and 1 leg.
  7. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Substantially less than that 'ish
  8. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    When you are considering buying a bass of this level of quality the main question should not be cost but more one of what construction and electroics to go for. If you want to spend little money then a fodera is NOT a good choice! They are built very specfically and tailored to the needs of the player. These needs are aesthetic and tonal, not financial. You pay for what you get, and if you want something like a Fodera, you will have to pay as much as it costs.
  9. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Foderas are not inexpensive, as has been pointed out. If you order a new one you will have to wait 1+ yr for delivery. Clearly with that much backlog, many people feel they are worth the price and the wait. Talk to the guys at - one of them, David Beasley, used to handle custom sales at Fodera so he knows exactly how to go about working with you to configure an order. They also have access to some fine used instruments. I bought my Fodera from them and have nothing but good things to say about the instruments and the guys at
  10. Bayha

May 2, 2005
    Thank you all for all your comments. All the info was most helpful. And Chris H, I don't remember saying anything about wanting to spend a little money on a Fodera. I know that they are going to be pricey. I was looking for an average cost that some of the people on the site who might own one paid, so I could have a goal to save for. Belive me quality of a bass is the first priority. When comes to basses money is no object, and I too belive you get what you pay for.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own a 5 string Imperial and it plays like butter and the tone is very very clear and versatile.they can get costly but if you know what you're looking for in a Fodera you want go wrong.
  12. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
  13. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    I just sold a mint but used Fodera Victor Wooten Classic 4 string for $4,000. Check the eBay completed auctions for other prices. Currently there are a couple of Fodera's with Buy It Nows of $4,200 and $4,800 and a weird Coven signature bass with no bids and no reserve, starting at $1,950. Go for it, mine was the best playing bass I've ever touched but I just wasn't kean on the sound of the pickups. I'm sure another but a different model, will be in my future. They are also the best constructed instruments that I've ever seen. Well worth the money.
  14. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I apologise, I thought you were as poor as me for a second! Have you come to any decisions regarding a bass?
  15. Bayha

May 2, 2005
    chris h, I was thinking: Four string fretted Monarch, 36" scale, maple set neck, ebony fretboard, walnut body/mohogany top, and I'm drawn between emg dc's or bartolini thin soapbars :bassist: . This of course is just an idea, and could, well probably will change once I research it. On my last post, I hope I didn't sound rude, cause I really didn't mean it that way. I was just clarifying. Later.
  16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I second Dave Beasley at the Groove Shop. Noone can help you better than he can with fitting you into the perfect Fodera for you. Tell him what you're looking for in a sound and such and he'll steer you right.
  17. Whats up guys, I'm looking for info on Stradivarius's. I may be looking into picking one up. I'd like to know where I can play one, how much they cost. Anything you can tell me about them would be snazzy. Thanks.

With these instruments, you have to know what you're looking at before you look at it. Spend some time on the Fodera site and maybe give them a call if you're serious. This is a big purchase.