Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Foldable Hand Truck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, May 19, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Just wondering if any of you have a line on a good, foldable hand truck for moving speaker cabs around. Something with fairly large wheels, stable, and provisions for hooking bungee cords, etc.

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have the folding truck. Not as good as a regular hand truck with pneumatic tires, but it does the job and is very convenient. Paid $20 for mine at Lowe's on closeout...then they changed their minds and stocked them again...for $35.

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    *Grumpy old salesman voice on*
    Heh, a foldable handtruck you want? well, sorry lad, but we just ran out of them. too many darn baseist use them these days. But we got some more inflatable minivans, if you want ...

:D

Sorry, couldnt resist... :D

5. Why don't you put casters (wheels) on the cabinets yourself? That way you don't need to deal with a cart.

Unless you have Acme cabinets (which apparrently are reduced to splinters if you look at 'em cockeyed :eyebrow: [I'm totally joking, they're rock solid]) most cabinets roll around very nicely on a set of 3" casters. Put a couple of lockable ones on there and you can stack your cabs, lock them down and have no problems.

6. To carry on here, is there a particular model you all would recommend that would also be suited to going up and down stairs?

7. I SECOND THAT BASEMENT ZOMBIE.... I NEED A HANDTRUCK FOR GOING UP AND DOWN STAIRS... WHAT SHOULD I GET?

8. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Inflatable, big wheels will probably make stair climbing the easiest.

The Rock N Roller cart looks like it fits the bill. I tell ya what though, I'd be weary of using any hand truck to navigate stairs with hundreds or thousands of dollars of gear on-board. One slip or mis-step and BOOM, there goes yer gear. Not to mention the dangerous situation that arises if anyone else is on the stairs. Yikes.

Whatever you decide on, please be VERY careful when navigating stairs. Might be a better idea to carry the items up and down the stairs and use the hand truck everywhere else. YMMV.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is probably the same one that i have - i just found out that Sam Ash sells them for $120!!!

me likey Lowes!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I heartily recommend the Rock & Roller carts, they have several sizes, all of them are excellent. I've got an RR10 myself (next to the largest), and it is PERFECT for gear haulin'.

I'm gonna second atldeadhead's advice DO NOT use any hand truck for navigating stairs!

:eek:

...oh, and I know of a very good retailer for the RR carts...hmm...

(see linky below! ;) )

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i like the Wesco brand of aluminum carts. they come in a larger size, and a slightly smaller size, but the wheels are just as bouncy for those cobblestone streets of the west village. very handy.

i got mine at www.bhphotovideo.com do a search and they should come up. the smaller ones are hard to find, but i know Sam Ash and some GC's stock them.

12. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Yep, I have one - love it. My only gripe is that it's a bit short.
    I'm 6'3" and have to bend over to push it around. I can put my 2x12 25.5" tall on it and still have room for a few more things, gig bag, etc. I don't remember what brand. Looks identical to the one shown in the thread posted above. Picked it up at Lowe's Home Improvement for around $40 - probably got screwed, but it payed for itself the first time I used it. And, I mainly use it for moving my cabs around, that way it won't get screwed up on anything else.

:hyper:

13. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

Yep, they stamp "for musicians" on the package and mark them up 100%. And then, they figure bass players will use them and mark them up another 200%......

... them bungholio's!!! :scowl: