Follow Up: Peavey T40 or Foundation?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogdays, Jul 21, 2018.

1. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    Posted earlier today about snagging a Peavey T40 - much thanks for the input!
    Now I'm kinda stuck between the T40 and an early (mid 80s) Foundation. Lots of comments and reviews give the Foundation the edge, but I'm still intrigued by
    the tonal versatility of the T40. Whatcha think?.

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

T-40.

Go back and check what I posted please

Ikkir, nateh415 and dogdays like this.
  3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

They're not expensive. Get both. ;)

But get the early Foundation first, they aren't as plentiful as they used to be. T-40's are all over the place.

Shawn Luckman and dogdays like this.
  4. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    thanks, very helpful.

5. Agreed the 80's Foundations are IMO better than the 90's versions. Here is a pic of my '86 & '92 together.
    20180330_165521 (3).jpg

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have a 70's T-40 and two 80's Foundations.

The T-40 has one of the best playing necks I have run across. The neck is reminiscent of a P bass. The fretwork is incredible, especially given that the bass is almost forty years old. The edges of the fingerboard are very sharp. The bass is extremely heavy, making it very uncomfortable to wear (and I'm not usually one to complain about weight). Tone-wise, it makes a lot of different sounds, but in my opinion, all of them are just okay.

The Foundations have a neck that is closer to that of a jazz bass, but something about it makes it feel like its own thing. The fretwork on my '84 is every bit as good as the T-40. My '86 has some fret wear. Both are light (especially compared to the T-40), and the body on the newer one is more rounded. I love the Super Ferrite Pickups. There aren't as many different sounds here as with the T-40, and I tend to favor the neck pickup. The sound it does make, IMO is some of the best tone a passive bass can have, IMO.

If I had to pick between the two models, I'd go with the Foundation without hesitation.

7. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    T-40's look cooler.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    T-40 for sure if you don’t mind the weight.
    Definitely the bass I would’ve bought in the '80s.

9. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I bought a T-40 last year. It's a great bass. Great neck and great tome. The bass was ahead of it's time. Un-fortunately the bass weighed too dam much. After my last motorcycle crash, I have to limit my time shouldering extremely heavy basses for long gigs.

I sold her off. But could have easily kept her to use for studio work.

10. Own several of both. Save money and stress, buy the Foundation. Folks make too much about the T40 tones.

The sad truth is people listen with their eyes so twiddle those knobs all you want,no audience member will ever tell you

"Man !! that T40 sounded great. Just like a 4003"

dogdays likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021