Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Follow-up to Lakland Fret Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Jan 25, 2006.

1. I just recieved Dan's reply to my email concerning the rough frets on my 55-01. This guy has got to be one of the most standup guys I have ever dealt with. In this day of Enrons and Tyco and corporate greed, Dan Lakin demonstrates hope for us all. Really, musicians are the greatest people since the circus left town.;)

I know TB moved my original thread to setup/repair, I just wanted other TBers to know what kind of man Dan is.

Hi Jeff - Sorry you are having trouble. Unfortunately that is common problem when we build in the winter and ship to different humidity. Are you near any decent guitar repairman? If so he could take care of it (it is a simple 10 minute file) and I can reimburse you with either cash or strings. The other option is for you to send it in to us. Let me know if either of these solutions sounds okay?

Dan

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats really awesome. Most people would say that theres nothing they can do since it technicalyl isnt their fault, but hes just a really nice guy.

Ernie Ball/music man and Lakland are my favorite companies <3 Ill probably own a Lakland one day.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That is fantastic. I just ordered a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub, and I emailed Dan several times to ask him some questions. He was always prompt in reply, and a wonderful guy to deal with.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow, that is great service.

Thumbs up!

Marshall

5. I think that that is one of the nice things about dealing with boutique builders. You might pay more money, but you get a very good product and when something does go wrong they go the extra mile to make their customers happy.

From everything I've heard, Dan Lakin knows what customer service is. :)

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Wow, what a pimp!

7. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I am completely sold on Laklands. I contacted Dan about a blank nut, and he sent me one for free. Plus, all I've heard are wonderful things.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I plan to one day own a Lakland, for this reason among others.

9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, it should be that way, but I've dealt with some boutique builders who were s l o w to respond!

This, and hearing about the use of in-house pickups and electronics (also Darkstars) is making me more excited about Laklands...I love the way they play!

Marshall

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Another thumb's up for Dan Lakin, what a great guy.:)

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think I must be the only guy Dan ever was going to bill for a repair. He told me it would be $50 bucks for a new nut. I'm not complaining, I got the bass used. It just seems everybody else got something free or was offered compensation.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Good to hear. There are a handful of standup guys building basses. We all know who they are and we love their work and their customer service

Rob

13. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Dan is the man. He personally called me to take my order for a pickguard he had in stock...and killer basses too!

Jesse

14. It sounds like I got one someday soon. Hmmm:)

15. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I agree! I've been looking at Laklands for sometime now and I'm sure I'll have one in the next few months.

Cheers,
    Jim

16. x2