Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

follow ups...?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fenderx55, Sep 12, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Ok, so I spent the entirety of last weekend hoofing it to the lower eastside for an audition with this really cute piano-chick that happens to write really awesome songs. Now, here i must extoll the virtues of facebook.com; i joined the group Bassists of NYU for the hell of it and it actually resulted in this girl's manager (read: Music business major with nothing better to do and no musical talent to speak of) getting in touch with me and setting up an audition to jam with other candidates. After being told there was a gig october 1st and them gushing with how much they liked me and "this next guy is gonna have to be like 100times better than you."

long story short and a second jam later. we're wlaking back to the girl's apt where i left my practice amp (ididn't realize we'd eb hitting a sketchy practice studio), and they were discussing the other bassist infront of me (i thought that was weird). they didn't really like him. i happened to know the dude, he plays well, but he's heavy into the jam bands and from what i heard from sitting in for a few minutes of his audition before mine yesterday, everything came out sounding like funk, even though that's not really what should have been coming from him. that wouldn't have been bad but he criticised the music, "don't u WANT it to have soul?"
    anyway, that night i get the call that i didn't get it. would it be a faux pas to ask the manager why him over me? it's kinda eating me inside, well i'm almost over it (i have a couple prospects coming up) but i really wanna know. i think it may be because i'm a little more lyrical and stick to the root/fifth/fourth/ w/e. and i was having alot of trouble funking it up when they asked. and i felt like crap cause i couldn't bust out the funk even though i listen to a good portion of it.

anyway, weird to get in touch or no?

sorry for how long this is.

-chris

2. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Oh my goodness! I didn't know anyone else from NYU was on TB! I go to NYU and I created that group on Facebook.

I got that message but I had to pass up the audition because I'm currently lacking significant amplification and I was out on Long Island anyway.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    hahaha, oh yeah, i was wondering who else got it. yeah all i have is a 15watt, but we ended up hitting up this sketchy little studio on ludlow, she didn't realize i was coming. dude, she was really good.

hey, jsut looked at ur facebook, i'm from bellmore.

4. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Bellmore! Wow, an even further coincidence.

Yeah, I listened to one of the songs on her website. I wish I had been able to audition.

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I would let it go. It could have been how you played, or it could have been how you looked.

Who knows? But don't care about it.

Another gig will appear, or perhaps the bassist who got the job will either flake or find out he is not interested in it as they thought they were.