1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Following on from the worst bass thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by manicmicky, Oct 21, 2010.

1. manicmicky

manicmicky

Oct 16, 2010
    Ive just been reading the worst bass thread and have decided to turn the tables.
    What is the "So Called" worst bass you own but actually blows the legs off your main bass ( but you dont have the bottle to admit it).
    We"ve all had em and most of you have probably still got em but will you admit to it.
    I used to own one many years ago that played better than my MIJ Fender Precision which i owned at the time and if i remember rightly it was a no name copy.
    Bring em on fella"s ( or have you the balls ) lol.

2. Easy. Squier pj over my Rick. Beats it in all but sound, but with the PUPs I put in, sounds pretty good to me. It's ergos and the neck that give it the edge. I got a good one I guess.

3. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I sure play my Sadowsky 5/24 a lot more than my Ritter Roya

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I liked my Fender RB5 better than the boutique basses I've owned, until I got a Sadowsky.

5. My '84 Peavey Foundation bass doesn't beat my Ric, but it holds its own.

6. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    This is my kind of thread. I LOVE cheap basses AND have the bottle to admit it. Every expensive "better" bass I've owned I have sold off due to not liking them as much as a cheapie.
    The two most extreme cases and the two that swore me off expensive basses forever.
    '91 Rickenbacker 4003s5 (paid $775 in '94, gleefully sold it for $300 in '05) looses hands down to my Peavey Foundation 5, which I still play today.
    '94 Fender P bass. Dont remember much about it other than it was red, used (but less than a year old) and $900...and the most hated bass I owned. Ever. I got an '87-'89 BC Rich Warlock Platinum in ultraviolet for $125 a week later cause it would look hysterical on stage. I still have it, still love it, and its my main bass, it has that "extension of myself" feeling. Though the 2010 Ibanez SR300 ($225 eBay) is giving the Warlock a real run for its money as the main bass.

7. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    I built a Frankenjazz out of ebay parts and it kicks the tail out of any other jazz I've played.

8. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Aint nothin wrong with a cheap bass that smashes an expensive one.

9. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Sorry to ruin the momentum, but my USA '75 Fender P sounds better than anything else I've ever encountered, cheap or otherwise.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This, in a thread about cheap basses, is full of win! I like it.

11. My first bass I paid too much for. It's a "Firefox" P. Somebody scratched out the irefox to leave the Fenderish F. It sounded OK to my ears so I bought it. Little did I know. Easily the best tone just sitting there with it's duff neck. Needs super high action or it buzzes. I should really put an Allparts neck on it and nobody would know its humble origins.

12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I play me squier dirnt more than I play my EBMM

13. I've got a Ric 4001, EB Stingray, Warwick Thumb, Fender P, Schecter Hellcat VI and Squier VM Jazz.

I guess the Squier VM Jazz would be considered the 'worst' of the bunch? Unfortunately, it pretty much is... Just doesn't have the fit and finish of the others. It is nice enough, but cost less for a reason IMO.

14. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    It doesn't "blow away" my main basses, but I played a $150 Spector Performer Deluxe the other day that sounded pretty sick.

15. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I had an old japanese SunTech p/j, neck through, that someone had upgraded with emgs, tuners, bridge etc. I remember comparing it one day years ago and I would have had to step up to top of the line Yamaha TRB's of the day to beat it and that was mostly just feel. Think I paid $150 for it. Long gone now, wish it wasn't.

My current 91 Peavey Foundation V blows away everyone who plays it. $200.