Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Following the guitarist's fingerings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trist6075, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I was wondering what you look for when jamming along with a guitar player to follow what he is doing. There are some times when the musics already happening and I don't just want to interrupt by asking for the chords, especially when playing with people better than me. I can kind of figure out the first four strings on it that the top finger is playing the root, but what about all those other odd positions they play on the other side where I have no idea what it could be. Do you guys have any hints about what looks different in the major, minor chords of guitar, etc.

Thanks

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    pick up a guitar and learn for yourself.

just to get an idea.

and yes, I do that all the time.

3. Listening combined with some knowledge of chords is the way to go.

But as a rule of thumb, the lowest note the guitarist is playing is the one you want to play. If it's not the root then it's very probably the fifth. In rock, that is.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Here are some typical cues!

Look for the bar chord.

an E chord barred on fifth fret = A
    and so forth.

Look for open postion chords.

Particulary the lowest note fretted or open note sounded.

It is not rude to ask either.

I had one band that played a well known Stones Song in E, another band played it in G.
    The song was in G, actually. The first band insisted they were right. Who cares.

The conversation goes like this:
    Band: Let's do 'Ozzies War Farts'. You know it?
    unASSUMING Bass dood: Sure. What key?

You automatically prompt this every song. Afetr a while they get used to ' Ok, let's do WAR Farts in G' You have now trained them in basic musicianship and done them a favor. It is always good to spend a little time discussing a piece before jumping in and slaughtering it, imho.

Thor