following up what whitenoise said...solo??need help with it...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by billybo, Jan 22, 2003.

1. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    what exactly can you do during a solo...i been playing for a year now and im getting ok now..but...i think i can handle a solo here and there but...i need to hear what a bass solo sounds like...i know it isnt the regular bass line but..anyone have any songs that have a bass solo in it??what can i do to work on my solo...and is it artist know what they gonna do before they do it or they come up with it along with the groove when they do it??
  2. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    no one wants to help me with a solo...i just need to hear what one sounds like.....any songs with a bass solo in them would be helpful
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    A song with a bass solo in it - Crash Course in Brain Surgery (as performed by Metallica on Garage Days ReRevisited)

From your post, you sound like you might be a little confused. I believe a bass solo by definition would be any time that the bass is the only instrument playing - it could 100% "planned" - I think from your questions you're really asking about improvosation. A solo is an opertunity for improvisation - if the question is: How does one learn to improvise well? - then I think the answer would be: practice, find Jazzbo's scale primer lesson on this site(and read it and understand it), practice, study theory, practice, study theory, practice...
  4. do u mean a jazz solo or a 'rock' solo
  5. Just read the whitenoise thread so i now know u mean jazz.

First i think you have to listen so go listen to all the greats and like as mentioned in the other thread listen to what every one is doing. (Read the post by ed in that thread lots of times, he knows everything...i think)

Find chord charts of some standards, listen to the recording and analyse what is being played over teh chords and how certain changes can be navigated and then you have will have the ability to incorporate these 'moves' into your playing.

Hope what is said makes sense and isnt wrong