Followup: DR Fatbeams impressions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 15, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A few weeks ago I went on a string seach, and posted my impressions of five different strings. I decided at that point to go with DR Fatbeams as my string of choice. That still stands, but I have found myself disappointed in one regard - they don't seem to last as long as I expected them to. I know others have been impressed with the lifespan of DR strings - perhaps my body chemistry doesn't quite agree with the alloy - who knows - but at about 5 weeks they had cratered and were totally unusable.

Before changing them, I compared the sound to the D'Adarrio XLs that have been on my fretless for nearly a year (comparing open strings, of course) and the Fatbeams had less harmonic character left in them!!!! I'm sticking with the Fatbeams for now because I love their sound and flexibility, I usually change strings at around 4 weeks anyway, and I asked my neighborhood music store to carry them. I'll be careful to note the lifespan of future sets - could be an isolated thing - we'll see...
  2. You can always soak the strings in (denaturated?) alcohol for min. one hour. Works fine on my DR's since the structure of the strings are pretty strong, and proberly hasn't worn out by the time they're becomming dirty and dull sounding. Much better and easier than boiling strings.

Could you descibe in detail what you mean by harmonic ?
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have been using a set of DR MM 45-105's on my Stingray for a few weeks and they sound awesome nice and crisp, I wipe down my strings after everytime I play with string cleaner weather it be Dunlop, Gibson or D'Andrea, This practice keeps them sounding new for a little longer.
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Perhaps not the correct word to describe those tonal qualities which, when absent, makes a string sound really dead. :)
  5. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have to admit, I have "sweaty fingers"...I go through strings very fast. The DR FatBeams do last with a little maintenance. I do the wipe down and some "fast fret" whatever that little handled scrubber thing is and they'll last easily over a month. I've since switched to DR Sunbeams and absolutely love them on my Stingray. I was sceptical because the nickels usually wear out pretty quick with my sweaty hands. Not the Sunbeams. As for the Fatbeams, I have noticed that when they start to wear out, the crispy highs tend to somewhat dimenish. The Sunbeams remain clear..

Either way, I'll take 'em both...Great strings any way you look at it!

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've had mine on now for about a month and that been two gigs and practice at home everyday and 4 three hour rehearsals. While they don't sound like they did when they were new I really like the way they sound broken in. They still have lots of growl but the top end zing has toned downed some, which I like.
  7. SoyBase - what's the differences between the Fatbeams and Sunbeams in your opinion? I might try a set next time I'm getting new strings.
  8. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    The difference in the FatBeams and Sunbeams in my honest opinion is this:

1. The Sunbeams are more flexible than the FatBeams. I like the tension of the Sunbeams because you can really "DIG" into them and get a nice growl. The FatBeams have the "rough" texture and are tighter. I like the tightness on something like a Warwick, or my Eshenbaugh, but on my SR5 and SR4. The SunBeams just feel better. Now, this is my opinion..You decide when you try them.

2. The SunBeams are bright. Not a harsh bright, but nice and mellow. I tried the LowRiders and they were a little too mellow and I had a hard time hearing myself through the mix. The SunBeams cut through a mix really well and have a "sweet" articulate sound with nice highs and deep lows. The FatBeams have a little more "bark" in the midrange compared to the SunBeams. Once again, some basses can use that extra mid response.

3. Overall, the every string I've tried from DR has outlasted anything else. I was weary on the Nickel sunbeams at first because I figured they'd wear out in one rehearsal. I keep them on about a month, maybe more depending on how much I play. On my backup bass, I had FatBeams on and they stayed nice and crisp for near 8 months. I wasnt playing it everyday, but when I did, there was tons of sweat and hard playing. I'd pull it out every once in a while and they sounded "right" to me still. Once again, I'm picky about that..I cant stand a string that sounds like a piece of stretched bungie cord.

I'm not big on maintenance of my strings, but a good wipe down and some fast fret will do the trick. I've even used some of those alcohol pads like they use in the hospital sandwiched in between a polishing cloth to clean them lightly.

I've ordered all my strings in the past year from always sent out quick even when they are backordered.

Depending on your style and bass, I'd try them both. I do a lot of slap/percussive playing and both work great.

Wow..This is my longest post yet!

9. Thanks alot SoyBase. That was really helpfull. I look forward to try the Sunny side of DR :cool: