Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

followup question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by nate 0 jt, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Hey Steve,
    I have been looking around on Ebay, and I have found a few Jammans...now, I need some advice. I hear that the jamman is one of the best loopers ever made. my dilema is, should I get a used jamman for less than a new electrix repeater, or should I get the repeater and pay more...a few more things though, I have been reading on the repeater and I am very interested in the midi capabilities, that is one reason why i am leaning more toward it. 2. I have never been too fond of ebay, it is a trust issue...I am at a stand still, what would you recommend, repeater(pay more, get more options) or used jamman(pay less get less options but better quality) another thing, the ebay site says that the jamman only has 8 seconds of memory, I would have to buy a expander chip(more money), but those are discontinued so i would have to get the one off Ebay... here is the link to the site that has the available jammans on Ebay....

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...query=lexicon+jamman&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

Please let me know, I know you dont know much about the repeater, and that you enjoy your jamman a lot...your input is very appreciated... Thanks a lot

Nate

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    HI Nate,

The JamMan is MIDI syncable as well, though without some of the more elaborate functions of the Repeater - it is looking like there are some features on the Repeater that don't work too well for full on live stuff - if you're wanting to use it like a virtual studio, it seems amazing, but live there are a few problems. It really is adviseable to check the loopers delight mailing list archives for comments on both the repeater and the jamman - the jamman is selling for a way over inflated price, sadly - if you can get a cheap one, then great, but some of them are going for more than they cost new, and that ain't right!

Do check out the Echoplex as well, my mind is leaning towards either the Echoplex or the Line 6 Echo PRO next...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Thanks a lot,
    I am looking for something that I can you to record loops live and play them back and solo over them and and little stuff, I play trumpet also so I want to record a bass line and then play a solo or some fills with a trumpet...live. I also want to have the capabilities to record something before the show, like a horn line or a keyboard part and play it back live, can I do that with the jamman...I am almost positive that I can do that with the repeater, I have been looking at the loopers-delight archive, mainly for the repeater though, Can I do stuff like I described with the jamman?? I am still not sure when I will have enough money to spend on something like this, probably around december or early next year. I am pretty sure that I can find a jamman, whether on Ebay or somewhere else around that time but I am just trying to decide at the moment. Let me know what you think, Thanks a lot for all your help... Nate

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    HI Nate,

the only loop boxes currently available that will allow you to prerecord stuff and store it are the Boss Loop Station and the Repeater...

JamMan will wipe it as soon as you switch off, with no facility for backing up to disc either...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk