Foo Fighters "In Your Honor" copy protected?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Hey everybody. I want to buy the new Foo Fighters CD, of which there are two versions. One is labeled as copy-protected, the other is "DualDisc" - it has a DVD on one side of it with a documentary on the album.

The dilemma here is that I have an iPod and I must be able to rip the CD onto my computer. Has anyone with the album successfully ripped the copy protected version. If not, will the dualdisc rip easily?

I wouldn't mind hearing some impressions of the album(and the documentary) as well. I haven't heard a lot of Foo Fighters, but I've seen "The Best of You" music video and I got a great first impression - Hard hitting rock with an emphasis on well-written melodies. I'm mostly a fan of classic rock, but I'm looking for a few modern rock bands to get into. Will this album have what I'm looking for?
  2. eddie f

eddie f

May 25, 2005
    im a huge foo fan and ill tell ya that theyve done better. yes the cd is good, but it feels like a bunch of recycled riffs to me that i already heard on "The Color and the Shape."
  3. Sorry, disagree. IMHO I think its the best album they've done.

And yes, the dualdisc will rip to you iPod with no problem! I have it on mine and as I have said elsewhere - In Your Honour fing rocks! :hyper:
  4. I would rate them:
    1. One By One
    2. The Colour...
    3. In Your Honor
    4. Foo Fighters
    5. There Is Nothing...

It's a really close toss up between 3 and 4.
  5. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I still haven't bought it. Tell me, how does it compare to "Colour and the Shape?" That album is the second CD I ever received, behind Green Day's "Nimrod." I absolutely love "Colour," and if "In Your Honor" is even half as good, I'm sure I'd eat it up.
  6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've actually contemplated this very thing, so I'll have a go:

1) The Colour and the Shape
    2) Foo Fighters
    3) One By One
    4a) In Your Honor
    4b) There Is Nothing Left To Lose

In Your Honor is good, and very energetic with great drumming, but super pop-oriented. I've been listening to it a lot lately, and I'm a big fan of all Foo Fighters material.

EDIT/ Also, I tried once with EAC, and could not rip the CD properly, or play it on my computer.
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I really like "In Your Honor". Not sure where I would rank it among other Foo material, but it's a really good CD.

I had no problem ripping the regular version to my computer. Though I wasn't able to rip the Dave Matthews Band Dual Disc that I bought to my computer. If you're worried about having ripping issues, you can buy it off of the iTunes store.
  8. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    after hearing that a friend of mine was having trouble ripping the cd onto itunes, i just downloaded in the itunes music store.

i think the first side of "in your honor" is easily forgettable and doesnt even come close to "the colour and the shape" or "there is nothing left. to lose"

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Its a great Foo Fighters Record, i enjoy it very much.
  10. I'll probably get it off of iTunes I had a Barnes and Noble gift card, but I won't have trouble finding something to buy with that. Thanks guys.
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The Foo Fighters seem to be one of the very few modern rock acts that keep putting out consistently strong material.
  12. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I ran into problems with ripping the CD to itunes and subsequently to my ipod too. I e-mailed sony/bmg and they said the best way to get around the copy protection issue with itunes is to download the music to your computer using the program that comes on the CD (it downloads the songs as .wmv files.) Then open up windows media player and burn the songs to a disc from there. Then you can take the burned copy, put it back into your computer and burn that to itunes. It's kind of a pain in the rear-end but apparently apple and sony/bmg aren't fully cooperating so if you already have the cd this is an option to get it on your ipod or itunes.

13. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    This is pretty much what I did and it worked fine.
    I really like the acoustic material better than the rock side. I agree in a way that alot of the rock riffs are recycled from other FF albums. Still a nice double cd though.
  14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I've heard if you send complaining emails to Sony about their copyright protection interfering with your ability to load it to an mp3 player, they'll send you a way to get around it....

Not that I've tried it, but I've heard it from a few people. Sounds worth a shot.
  15. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I heard that from a few people too, actually, it was the two people who posted above you ;)

I'm happy to hear that the acoustic side may be more musically engaging (and less recycled), I haven't even given a listen to that disc yet
  16. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but if I ever get a copy protected disc, I rip it in SoundForge, and save them all as an .mp3. Bit of a pain and takes longer than iTunes, but it works for me. You do have to add the id3 tags afterwards though there may be a way to do it in SF that I haven't figured out yet.

I understand the whole copy protection thing, and don't share music, but it is a PITA. Unless I REALLY want the album, if it's copy protected I don't buy it. Of course I don't steal it either!

17. Lemme get this straight. In order to prevent people from copying/ripping the music, they make the disc with the toughest copy protection they can find, and THEN put a program on the disc with which to rip the cd? I think my brain just exploded :eek:

If you have a fast net connection, just download the album. It's what I do. Afaik it's perfectly legal to do so because you own the album (at least its legal here in Belgium).
  18. I agree!