1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Alright, I know it's not brain surgery, and it's a bit of an ego buster for me to have to ask this, but what the hell is he doing? I learn lots of complicated covers, and never have the problem that I have with Foo Fighters. Either my stereos all suck, or I suck - but I can't tell what octaves that guy plays in. It almost sounds as though the bass is double tracked with him playing everything in 2 octaves, the lower one being mixed a little lower than the higher.... help.

Fer instance - the chorus. The B to G# is definitely not a low B riff - but then the F#EE-F#EC part sounds like it IS the lower octave. Then it doesn't sound like it is. Then it does sound like it is. Then I want to break all the stereos I'm playing it on.

Is it just me. have I played loud music without earplugs for too long and the end is near?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmm, is this a question merely of the octaves? Everytime I've seen clips of the Foo bassist, he's playing a four string. And if it's an octave question... play what sounds good. :meh: Unless you are asking this out of pure morbid curiosity.

I know they downtuned on the newer stuff, I don't know if Monkey Wrench is downtuned.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Part curiosity, but a bigger part that I'm doing this cover with another band, and it's kind of important to me that I really nail it. If I were playing it with The Nerve as just another cover I would simply just do what sounds good.

Ya know what - I should simply just do what sounds good. Thanks. But if anyone knows for sure what's going on please still post.