Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Alright, I know it's not brain surgery, and it's a bit of an ego buster for me to have to ask this, but what the hell is he doing? I learn lots of complicated covers, and never have the problem that I have with Foo Fighters. Either my stereos all suck, or I suck - but I can't tell what octaves that guy plays in. It almost sounds as though the bass is double tracked with him playing everything in 2 octaves, the lower one being mixed a little lower than the higher.... help.

Fer instance - the chorus. The B to G# is definitely not a low B riff - but then the F#EE-F#EC part sounds like it IS the lower octave. Then it doesn't sound like it is. Then it does sound like it is. Then I want to break all the stereos I'm playing it on.

Is it just me. have I played loud music without earplugs for too long and the end is near?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmm, is this a question merely of the octaves? Everytime I've seen clips of the Foo bassist, he's playing a four string. And if it's an octave question... play what sounds good. :meh: Unless you are asking this out of pure morbid curiosity.

I know they downtuned on the newer stuff, I don't know if Monkey Wrench is downtuned.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Part curiosity, but a bigger part that I'm doing this cover with another band, and it's kind of important to me that I really nail it. If I were playing it with The Nerve as just another cover I would simply just do what sounds good.

Ya know what - I should simply just do what sounds good. Thanks. But if anyone knows for sure what's going on please still post.