1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Foo Fighting Dad

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tanslacks, Mar 7, 2008.

1. tanslacks

tanslacks Supporting Member

I took my daughter to see the Foo fighters last night at the Los Angeles forum. She is 13 and we both play bass in our respective bands. We have been to some great shows in the last 2 years.. Green day, Police, The Donnas, RHCP's and Roger Waters dark side of the moon tour. They all rocked but David Grohl deserves special mention. He had the place rocking to say the least.

CIMG5425.

When I was a teenager growing up in Santa monica, I was lucky enough to see Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix at the forum along with many others. I would have to say the last time I was at the forum was 1979! It was great to go back with my kid and see a great show. Now to my point, one of the best rock show drummers I had ever seen was John Bohnam. He was different by a half, well last night I saw some really amazing drumming by Taylor Hawkins. WOW.. He has it times two. If you get a chance, catch this tour and if you have a kid bring them.. (Language is R rated) I feel so lucky to have this time with my daughter. I get to eavesdrop as her band writes their songs and she comes to all my bands shows and then when we are feeling rich enough, we catch a great show... Next... I got some Petty tickets for the hollywood bowl.

Just mt two cents:bag:

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Right on, what a great way to bond!

I'm planning on bringing my 11-year-old to Irvine so he can see his favorite band, Iron Maiden, for his first concert experience in May.

3. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I wish my daughter played in a band, but I understand about taking them to a show. We went to the Riviera Theatre last week in Chicago to see The Hives and The Donnas.
    Truth be told, I was just the wheel man and there happened to be an extra ticket. So the kids went up front and I hung back a bit to give them their space. They are bit older at 16 so the old man needed to fade into the crowd for most of the night. But we did spend memorable time at a shared event, I had a blast.
    Have not been to the Riv in 25 years .... brings back a lot of memories.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Nate Mendel is an incredible bassist. I think Dave Grohl dumbed him down for Foo Fighters stuff.

Check out Sunny Day Real Estate (Diary, LP2). Nate is killer on those albums.

5. I remember posting some things about Nate back when he first started working with Grohl and I got a lot of "ugh... pop" feedback... I think that his playing is outstanding and very much worth listening to. I don't know if he dumbed anything down for the Foos but I do know that when you hear a really killer bassline that doesn't stick out with a "hey lookie at meeee" attitude, that player has chops and doesn't need to flaunt it. I'm not a big pop/rock listener or fan, but I know what I like and Mendel has the goods.

6. tanslacks

Snappy, The Donnas was my daughters first show in 2005. She was not quite eleven yet. In those days she dreamed of being a drummer. We live in a really small town called Joshua tree and there is an old saloon left over from the old western films days that has been turned into a great music venue. Anyway, The Donnas decided to have a special concert there for their fans. My daughter sat on the stage during the show and Tory gave her a set of signed drum sticks. Here she is with her sticks and sitting on the stage.

09-17-05_1905.

09-17-05_2055-1.

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Tanslacks, what'd you think of Against Me, the band that opened for the Foo's?

8. tanslacks

We only caught the last two songs of theirs. we both loved the bassist's moves and were commenting on how we might copy some of them. I can't really remember much else. My daughter was really excited about seeing Serg from system of the down. (now solo) That was some pretty interesting stuff. I was not familiar with their music and I ended up really liking it.

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Great story, I can't wait til my son is older (he's only 2.5) to start going to concerts and sporting events.

I saw the Foo Fighters back around 2000 or so and they opened up for RHCP. I thought they blew them away, just an amazing energy they had onstage vs so many bands. It reminded me of the energy that the Seattle bands like Pearl Jam had when they first broke.

10. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    how cool is it that your 11 year old son's fav band is Iron Maiden!!!!! Congrats on raising him right!!!!