Food for Thought..... So True, What happened to us?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by basspro2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes too, but I can't remember getting E-coli.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets.

We played with toy guns, cowboys and Indians, army, cops and robbers, and we even used our fingers to simulate guns when the toy ones (or my BB gun) was not available.

Some students weren't as smart as others or didn't work hard, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat it. That generation produced some of the greatest risk-takers and problem solvers. We had the freedom, failure, success and responsibility; and we learned how to deal with it all.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), the term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries, but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Every year, someone taught the whole school a lesson by running in the halls with leather soles on linoleum tile and hitting the wet spot. How much better off would we be today if we had known we could have sued the school system.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and the pledge, and stayed in detention after school. Then we caught all sorts of negative attention for the next two weeks. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

I can't understand it. Schools didn't offer 14 year olds an abortion or condoms (we wouldn't have known what either was anyway) but they did give us a couple of aspirin and cough syrup if we started getting the sniffles. Now they'd be sued for not having medical malpractice insurance.

What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I learned that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, PlayStation, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital cable stations.

I must be repressing that memory, as I try to rationalize through the denial of the dangers could have befallen us as we trekked off each day about a mile down the road to some guy's vacant 20, built forts out of branches and pieces of plywood, made trails, and fought over who got to be the Lone Ranger.

What was that property owner thinking, letting us play on that lot. He should have been locked up for not putting up a fence around the property, complete with a self-closing gate and an infrared intruder alarm.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played king of the hill on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48 cent bottle of mercurochrome and then we got our butt spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked (physical abuse) ... and then we got our butt spanked again when we got home. (worse physical abuse)

Mom always invited the door to door salesman inside for a coffee.

Kids choked down the dust from the gravel driveway while playing with Tonka trucks, (remember Why Tonka trucks were made tough... it wasn't so that they could take the rough berber in the family room), and Dad drove a car with leaded gas.

Our music had to be left inside when we went out to play. I am sure that I nearly exhausted my imagination a couple of times remembering songs when we went on two week vacations.

I should probably sue the folks now for the danger they put us in when we all slept in campgrounds in the family tent.

Summers were spent behind the push lawnmower and I didn't even know that mowers came with motors until I was 13 and we got one without an automatic blade-stop or an auto-drive. How sick were my parents? I was truly deprived!

Of course my parents weren't the only psychos. I recall Donnie Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop... just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof.

It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we survive?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We've progressed. Culturally we have. But common sense seems to have escaped to another realm as well. It all seems(ed) so simple. But myriad reasons (many that defy logic) have put themselves in the way of "the way things were", and "are" now.

I hear ya.
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    1. :rolleyes:
    2. Quit b****ing
    3. Educate yourself

Now, That is not directed to you...unless you wrote it.

:Edit: D'oh, spelling.
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ehhh, now when I was a boy, we didn't have none of them flame-retarded pyjamas. You just rolled around screaming on the floor until your sister came and poured a bucket of water on ya... AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If that's your writing, Basspro, I commend you. I'm a child of the 80s-90s, and I think they state of some aspects of society are totally rediculous. I listen to older people talk about thier youth, and I think it's absurd what's become of common sense and logic. People overthink everything these days.
  6. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    this thread needs a disclaimer its really frightened me.
  7. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Whats that all about??

** My Mini Rant **

What the guy writes makes a whole lot of sense to me. I can't believe how uptight and sue-happy people have gotten. This zero tolerance sue everything to make it better society we've become is really annoying, and ignorant IMO. My friend got in school suspension for having an inhaler. A freaking inhaler, that has saved his life more than once, and they put him into inschool suspension for carrying it. :rolleyes:

The assistant principal got pissed when I said "Yeah, Kyle, didn't you know if you're having a life threatening asthma attack you need to ask the teacher for pass, then go to the nurse. Wouldn't want you carrying any life saving medication on you, no would we?" Stupid, rude ignorant a-holes :mad:

Zero tolerance is the worst idea ever, and shows the complete lack of desire for our school administrators to actually think when solving issues.

** End Mini Rant **
  8. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    My, how history repeats itself.

Although I do agree with a few of the statements/ideas that were said, I think most of it is based on ignorance.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    While I agree with the general sentiment of your post, I thought of something interesting.....

It is actually the people who grew up in that environment that made things the way they are now. They are the parents and the lawyers. They made it the way it is today.

Weird hu?

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree with some your comments (such as about the sue happy people) but I just think most of it's the normal "My generation is better than the new generation" type of stuff.

And I personally think it's sad that it's requirement to pass gym class in my state, but not reading class. I just find so many ways to apply volleyball and the presidential fitness award track in real world situations :rolleyes:
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That is an interesting point Nick. Although, I still agree with the vast majority of what basspro2 said. Society in general has become completely numbed by the need to be entertained by everythign adn to have their needs met without working. Everyone tries to blame anything that's gone wrong on everyone else. The government has decided they knwo what's best for every family and threatens to throw parents in jail if they don't raise their kids the way the government likes. Simply bringing a Bible to a public school can get you interoggated and accused of oppressing others with religious intolerence and violation of church and state. Rapists and child molestors are released on "good behavior" after 3-5 years on a regular basis, while those guilty of non-violent white colalr crimes are left to stu in prison for the next few decades because they are costing the government piles more money than the rapists. While there have been a few improvements in our social system, such as identifying kids with real learning disabilities and instituting programs to help them, most of the trends in society have spiraled downwards. We have become a nation that for the most part, blindy follows Hollywood, Nashville, and Washington DC, without questioning the morality or plain logic of what we are fed.
    My .02
  13. Next you're gonna tell me that there weren't any car accidents in the '50s, either... :rolleyes:

The world isn't any more dangerous today than it was 30, 40, or 50 years ago--it's just that media penetration wasn't as high back then. People hushed things up on the grounds of "protecting the kids" or "the good of society."

Growing up in Gainesville, FL, my now-60-year-old dad knew plenty of kids who came out of gym class with broken legs; heard stories about kids getting molested in barns or shot by crazy landowners; got some sort of disgusting parasite or skin condition from swimming in a dirty creek; and boy howdy, he knew about teen pregnancies. (Those girls "got sick" and went to "get healthy" at their aunts' homes in Tampa.)

Whoever wrote that piece of garbage is wearing some pretty thick rose-colored glasses.
  14. Took the words right out of my mouth Peter.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If I read yet another naive-nostalgic "back in d'em days everything was betta'" rant, I'm gonna scream...
  16. It's not nostalgia, though--it's willful self-deception. It's the same impulse that drives people to mythologize the 1950s as this happy, peaceful time in America, when in fact we lived under the threat of nuclear annihilation (MAD was not yet in place), racial tensions bubbled under the surface and finally began to burst forth (before exploding in the '60s), etc.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You mean you're supposed to accomplish something tangible in order to feel good about yourself?

And this is a *good* thing? :confused:
  18. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Hell, I liked it, and saw a lot of truth to what was written. Children today spend more time indoors playing stupid video games and not using their imagination...HELLO.....My older sister thinks I am mean b/c I don't want a video game in my house...well....I don't. I want my daughter to continue to use the imagination she has...I may change my mind though...Sister is very convincing on her logics...:D
  19. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, not that I want to ocme accross as being funy, but I bet that about 60% of TB'ers (U.S. ones) would sue if given an oppertunity, or have done prior...

Unless we brits are given the wrong image about sue-happy Americans?
  20. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    No, you're right....I am ashamed to say.....I never have sued, and never will...unless it really counts...and I will ask you guys first...:D