foods that give you heartburn?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mybluespector, Apr 5, 2004.

1. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    Uhhh that it a hard one! Cause there r so many. I would have to say salsa. And gatoraid for some strange reason? Any one else get it from gatoraid? :D
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What is it with your fascination with what foods gives people heartburn or gas? If I may ask....

Off topic has never been more off-topic-er than now :meh:
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Any spicy food pretty much guarantees that I'm gonna have heartburn afterwords.

I dearly love spicy foods, so I soldier on.
  4. Spicy food.

But I don't care because I love spicy food.
  5. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    I am guessing that i had those problems when i made the post! :D
  6. It's not what I eat, but eating too much too late in the evening seems to contribute to heartburn.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nothing gives me heartburn anymore now that I started taking Prilosec OTC almost every day. It's a bit expensive but I'm hoping they'll get a generic version out before long.

brad cook
  8. I think gatoraid give me heartburn,,it's really hard to tell though because just about anything gives me heartburn. anything greasy will do it for sure. fried chicken, chips, tocos, pizza..I take a drug called Protonics for acid reflex and heartburn, but think it just make things worse. I hate heartburn. :(
  9. The usual ones for me are pizza, lasagna, Taco Hell, fried chicken, and most spicy Asian foods. Although I get heartburn a lot more than normal people due to a Hiadal hernia and an overactice gallbladder.
  10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    You guys are gonna hate me.

I love spicey food and eat lots of it and I've never had heartburn.

I've seen people with it and it looks pretty uncomfortable.

Guess I'm just lucky.
  11. Alcohol gives it to me worse than anything else. Food wise, it isn't a matter of what as much as it is a matter of how much...

12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do people just not realize that some simple over-the-counter meds can offer total relief from heartburn? Before Prilosec went OTC I was using generic Pepcid AC...I'd take it 30 minutes to an hour before lunch and then before any other meals or snacks that I knew would cause heartburn (no more than 2 a day). That helped a lot...actually reflux and indigestion was more of a problem with me but also hb. Then I started taking Prilosec and that has completely wiped it out. I know it won't work for everyone but it does for most. I just wish they'd hurry up and get the generic equivalents out as it's kind of expensive. Generics can be a Godsend! Last night at Sam's Club I bought 180ct generic Claritin for $15.83.

brad cook

ps - Prilosec says that you can only take it for 14 days at a time once every 3 months. I believe that's just to cover their butts in case your heartburn is a symptom of a larger problem that you need to see a physician for. My family physician and a GI physician both told me that it's ok to take every day but if you're having recurring problems you should check with your doctor first.
  13. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    I just can never remember to take it! I sure hope i never get a horrible heart problem were i have to take pills every day cause i will probably die from bieng a forgettfull idiot! lol :rolleyes:
  14. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Wow, I didn't realize heartburn was this common. I've never had it in my life. Not once. I eat lots of spicy foods, too.

I guess it's balanced out though, since my girlfriend gets heartburn from anything spicier than toast.
  15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm sure it has something to do with genetics. Also, you're only 22. I didn't have any problems with it until I was maybe 26 or 27 and I've been told that even that is young to be having the problems that I've had.

brad cook