1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Foot controlled pitch wheel?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ilovethesechord, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    Do you know of those rubber wheels that can alter the pitch of a digital keyboard?

Why not create an expression pedal that bends your output?

Really, I want to place one of those at the end of my signal chain (boss loop station) so it would be possible to "bend" the loop. That would allow me to loop a line in, say, D, and then transpose it to, say, C. Or F.

Can it be done?

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Isn't this what a Whammy does?

3. That's what I stopped myself saying. It seemed too obvious so I assumed I'd misread the post.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    whammy.

WHAMMY! :bassist:

5. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    Wait, really?

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The Boss PS-5 could do this with the expression pedal. Not sure about a standalone pedal as you are describing being able to do this. At least, I haven't seen one, but I want to be wrong. ;)

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    C'mon! Big Money, No whammy! Oh no!

I'm glad RC remembers that show too.

For a while when I had my Octavius Squeezer I had my PS-3 set up as a pitch wheel. Mostly just a whole step up or down with the other pitch left in the middle. I tried setting them up and down a whole step respectively and finding the middle of the sweep where the pitch was "normal" but it was too hard to do in a real life context.

But short answer, yes a whammy will do this. So (to varying degrees of success I'm sure) will the PS-3, PS-5, Pitchfactor and HOG.

8. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    We have the technology..... we can rebuild it?

:bag: Can it be made?

9. it already is made. any pitchshifter can do this as was stated before. I would also suggest splitting your signal after the looper, with one output going to the pitch shifter, and the other being clean so that your playing over the loop doesn't get transposed too

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Not any pich shifter. You need a polyphonic one.

11. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    Thank you!